• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D is so METAL

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
Sorry, I save the heavy metal and rap for modern day games (Public Enemy is really good fighting music for Vampire or Werewolf). When I run a D&D game its Celtic (Queen's Gambit, Bedlam Bards), Pirate (Jolly Rogers, Bilge Pumps), and Baroque (J.S. Bach) music if I play music at all.

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
Imaro said:
That said, you could replace Bitches/Ho's with wenches and you've got a thieves guild vs. assasins guild based campaign right there with factions seeking to control the Black Lotus trade in the city. Or, it could easily be a mercenary type campaign where you're hired by a crimelord to subdue sections of a lawless city in his name while fighting against other competing crimelords. Better yet a paladin who has gathered a group to bring equality and peace to a crimeridden city...but how far can you go (must you go?) before you become just as feared, violent and vicious as the ones you struggle against? Can you have morals and ethics in this environment or must they be discarded in pursuit of your goals.

I will say though I love the campaign ideas. Reminds me of a game (2nd Edition D&D) a friend of mine ran in college where we were thieves in the middle of guild split and he required all our alignments to have "evil" in them. We ended up doing a mansion invasion and putting ourselves in the lion's den of the opposition's gambling house just so we could break the bank and torch the place. I played a Lawful Evil Assassin (which was a port from 1st Edition with the poisoning abilities of a Dark Sun Bard) who did his best to minimize needless killing (i.e. I left children, servants, and other noncombatants alone). So it was see opposing guild thief, kill opposing guild thief, and take his stuff.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Achan hiArusa said:
Sorry, I save the heavy metal and rap for modern day games (Public Enemy is really good fighting music for Vampire or Werewolf). When I run a D&D game its Celtic (Queen's Gambit, Bedlam Bards), Pirate (Jolly Rogers, Bilge Pumps), and Baroque (J.S. Bach) music if I play music at all.

I usually don't play anything with vocals when I run D&D. But there's enough instrumental material to see me through a dozen adventure paths.

Remus Lupin said:
Yup. My adolescence: Pretty much defined by Rush and D&D.

"Philosophers and ploughmen, each must know their wont".

Ya just don't hear that sort of thing often enough outside of Rush.

Speaking of Rivendell (and Closer to the Heart, which I just quoted) as being an obviously D&Dish song, I've been thinking of the many Zep songs that are so obvious it's not worth mentioning. Stuff like "No Quarter" and "The Battle of Evermore" . . . but even normal Zep songs "Over the Hills and Far Away" and "Tangerine" give me D&Dish feelings: "she is my lady, she is my queen, and now a thousand years between" -- how could that be about anybody but the Queen of the elves in Tolkien? :)

But heck, there was a time when even Blues Traveller doing "The Mountains Win Again" made me think of D&D.

Pants

First Post
Gentlegamer said:
Ironically, I'd say Armored Saint's artwork is more D&D than [current] D&D's artwork.
Hey! I don't see any mullets, bowl-cuts, or Fawcett-hair!

It ain't D&D unless it looks like the bastard child of the 70's and 80's! ;)

Teflon Billy said:
Seriously?

Massive step backwards. :\
IMO Belladonna was great when he was on, he was terrible when he wasn't. His voice added something 'different' to the often stereotypical metal sound.

Besides, AFAIR, Belladonna isn't fronting for them anymore either. They're looking for a new singer now.

haakon1 said:
"Philosophers and ploughmen, each must know their wont".

Ya just don't hear that sort of thing often enough outside of Rush.
That's because Rush is like, the greatest band EVAR. :)

Speaking of Rivendell (and Closer to the Heart, which I just quoted) as being an obviously D&Dish song, I've been thinking of the many Zep songs that are so obvious it's not worth mentioning. Stuff like "No Quarter" and "The Battle of Evermore" . . . but even normal Zep songs "Over the Hills and Far Away" and "Tangerine" give me D&Dish feelings: "she is my lady, she is my queen, and now a thousand years between" -- how could that be about anybody but the Queen of the elves in Tolkien? :)

But heck, there was a time when even Blues Traveller doing "The Mountains Win Again" made me think of D&D.
Some Savatage songs make me think of D&D ('The Dungeons are Calling' primarily).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads