D&D General D&D Live Play Dimension 20 At Madison Square Garden

Popular D&D livestream at New York's famous Madison Square Garden.

d20-madison.png

Popular Dungeons & Dragons livestream Dimension 20 will be appearing live at New York's famous Madison Square Garden next year.

The one-night-only game will take place on January 24th 2025, and will be called Gauntlet at the Garden. It will feature six of the series' regular cast--Emily Axford, Ally Beardsley, Brian Murphy, Zac Oyama, Siobhan Thompson, and Lou Wilson, with Brendan Lee Mulligan as the GM. Tickets will go on sale this Friday.

Madison Square Garden is a multi-purpose arena in New York and has a capacity of about 20,000 people. Last year, Critical Role played Wembley Arena in London.

Dr. Bull

Adventurer
I could not agree more with the critiques I've read so far.

When I want to play D&D, I don't want to be a spectator. I want to run a character or be the DM. I appreciate the contributions of talented voice actors and professional Dungeon Masters. I also admire the editing, the special effects, and the music scores that help enhance the mood of play.

However, I have tried again and again to watch D&D played by other people. I feel like an outsider. I feel like a voyeur. It's like watching an author write a book, or spying on a group of producers working on a movie script.

BTW: I also never watch the "behind the scenes" or the "making of" a movie, TV series, etc. I want my disbelief to be suspended.

Just my two cents. I'm an old fart.

Thanks,
- Dr. Bull

Dr. Bull

Adventurer
There’s a lot of yucking other people’s yums in this thread. I get not being into actual play shows - I’m not big into watching sports. I don’t get the need to imply that there’s something wrong with enjoying actual play shows, like it’s badwrongfun.

It kind of reminds me of how playing DnD used to be looked down upon. You’d think this community would be more open-minded.
Dear Clint:

I think you are right. I'm sorry that I yucked on your yum (a great expression, by the way). Thankfully, there are dozens of ways to play D&D and I hope my comments didn't inhibit how you play and/or enjoy it...

You are correct. The community is very open and accepting. However, every gamer grew up in a different culture. When I played in middle school in the early '80's (like one of the kids from Stranger Things... 100% analog) as a hopeless nerd... Those personal gaming experiences were precious to me. They weren't public. They were magical.

I am glad that RPG's have been popularized by streaming videos, blogs, etc. I'm also glad that people find it intellectually stimulating and emotionally entertaining.

Cheers,
- Dr. Bull

Jaeger

That someone better
.... I appreciate the contributions of talented voice actors and professional Dungeon Masters. I also admire the editing, the special effects, and the music scores that help enhance the mood of play.

I think that these kind of actual plays get a lot of flack because the shows are not reflective of home games.

But that's not their purpose.

They are a modern improv version of the old-style radio plays, for RPG fans.

And they certainly have enough of a following to keep filling some fairly big venues.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
I think that these kind of actual plays get a lot of flack because the shows are not reflective of home games.

But that's not their purpose.

They are a modern improv version of the old-style radio plays, for RPG fans.

And they certainly have enough of a following to keep filling some fairly big venues.
And some of them are freaking hilarious. :D I'm not a big actual play guy, but, I got sucked into Viva La Dirt League. And it never fails to make me giggle.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Dimension 20 has come out and said they were shocked at the prices and the ticket sales, having previously struggled, years ago, to sell out a much smaller venue.

They've told Ticketmaster to turn off their dynamic pricing on this and other sales for their events and they're going to raffle off $35 tickets (for seats scattered around the venue) for fans in the coming weeks.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Which always makes me wonder why the NFL doesn't get flack for not being reflective of football games played on the school yard or that Wimbledon doesn't get flack for not being reflective of playing tennis out on the public court.
There's always at least some difference between a game played by professionals for exhibition and being played by amateurs for fun/fitness. But the core can remain surprisingly similar. The Dimension20 and Critical Role players/DMs all still crack joking asides, still laugh at silliness, still bemoan rolling 1s on the d20s (unless you're playing a 5e halfling, in which case you bemoan rolling a 2). They're just operating at a professional level of improv/performance and in environments designed to be more engaging to viewers - just like the NFL, Wimbledon, NBA, etc...

Clint_L

Hero
Dear Clint:

I think you are right. I'm sorry that I yucked on your yum (a great expression, by the way). Thankfully, there are dozens of ways to play D&D and I hope my comments didn't inhibit how you play and/or enjoy it...

You are correct. The community is very open and accepting. However, every gamer grew up in a different culture. When I played in middle school in the early '80's (like one of the kids from Stranger Things... 100% analog) as a hopeless nerd... Those personal gaming experiences were precious to me. They weren't public. They were magical.

I am glad that RPG's have been popularized by streaming videos, blogs, etc. I'm also glad that people find it intellectually stimulating and emotionally entertaining.

Cheers,
- Dr. Bull
I appreciate your thoughtful comments. It seems that we started around the same time - for me it was 1979 - and I well remember the stigma attached to D&D.

My love for actual play shows started when I was repainting the interior of my townhouse. It was basically all day, every day for most of a month, and I started listening to Critical Role to occupy my brain. Now, it and other actual play shows are my preferred entertainment while painting miniatures. I don't have the patience or time to just sit and watch them on their own (I wish I did), but they are an ideal background entertainment. For me.

The exception is the live shows, which I have loved watching. The energy and engagement brought by the live audience are infectious. I would love to go to one of these shows, if they are ever in my neighbourhood. And at a more reasonable price point.

I'm also just thrilled that people are making good money playing TTRPGs. I think that's wonderful. They're part of my tribe!

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site

Jaeger

That someone better
Which always makes me wonder why the NFL doesn't get flack for not being reflective of football games played on the school yard or that Wimbledon doesn't get flack for not being reflective of playing tennis out on the public court.

Because athletic ability aside, what you see on the amatuer high school field/courts is the same game as the one the professionals play. Just with bleachers and parents Iphones taking the place of a stadium and broadcast cameras...

I really think that comparing TTRPG actual plays to stick and ball sports, is an apples to oranges comparison.

A better analogy in my opinion is that TTRPG Actual Plays are to Home games in the same way that P*rn is to S*x.

Yes, the same "core" activity is there, but one is a Professional production that has:
... the contributions of talented voice actors and professional Dungeon Masters. I also admire the editing, the special effects, and the music scores that help enhance the mood of play.

The other one happens on a table in your house.

So unless you also happen to play with a bunch of trained improv/voice actors, and run your game the same way; you are not doing the same thing that you see in the staged improv actual play shows in your home game.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Because athletic ability aside, what you see on the amatuer high school field/courts is the same game as the one the professionals play. Just with bleachers and parents Iphones taking the place of a stadium and broadcast cameras...

I really think that comparing TTRPG actual plays to stick and ball sports, is an apples to oranges comparison.

A better analogy in my opinion is that TTRPG Actual Plays are to Home games in the same way that P*rn is to S*x.

Yes, the same "core" activity is there, but one is a Professional production that has:

The other one happens on a table in your house.

So unless you also happen to play with a bunch of trained improv/voice actors, and run your game the same way; you are not doing the same thing that you see in the staged improv actual play shows in your home game.
I don't think the analogy is misplaced. Not all popular live plays are as heavily produced as Critical Role. Beside, taking Critical Role as one example, it very much like a home game. And if using different voices for your characters isn't part of your game, not all live games run like this. Acquisitions Incorporated drew huge crowds without professional voice actors.

I don't understand why some people struggle with the fact that a TTRPG could draw spectators. People watch sports, watch people playing video games, watch cooking shows, watch home remodeling, watch fishing shows, and all manner of activities. Sometimes because it is something they can't do, but often because they DO engage in a specific activity, it makes it more interesting to watch others do it. Those who really excel at an activity, either because of incredible skill or because they find ways to make it entertaining (e.g., professional production, captivating personalities, humor), and usually a mixture of both, are able to become professionals and make a living doing it. Live play TTRPG shows are no different than many other activities people watch other people do.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads