D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie: Action Packed, Funny as Hell

According to Justice Smith, one of the stars of the upcoming Dungeons and Dragons movie, the film is "action-packed, thrilling, funny as hell". https://www.enworld.org/threads/michelle-rodriguez-justice-smith-join-d-d-movie.678118/ In a conversation with Collider, Smith said: [Goldstein and Daley are] incredible. They’re so funny and they have such clear vision. I loved Game Night. That...

According to Justice Smith, one of the stars of the upcoming Dungeons and Dragons movie, the film is "action-packed, thrilling, funny as hell".

dungeons-and-dragons-filming.jpg

In a conversation with Collider, Smith said:

[Goldstein and Daley are] incredible. They’re so funny and they have such clear vision. I loved Game Night. That movie is so good and so funny. And it’s such a clear, specific story. It doesn’t try and be anything that it’s not. I think they approached this the same way. I can’t spoil too much but it’s action-packed, thrilling, funny as hell… it’s all of the things and yet it has a clear idea. That specificity is key in storytelling and John and Jonathan do that so well, being like, "This is the story we’re telling but they’re making it enjoyable the entire time." This is me not trying to spoil the movie in any regards. I’ve given away no details.

The movie, which also stars Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Regé-Jean Page, Hugh Grant, and Sophia Lillis, is scheduled for March 3rd, 2023.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
But The Hobbit - ugh! I knew when announced it that going to 3 movies meant it was going to be packed with filler. It was awful. I can handle the LotR trilogy and rewatch it. I really won't sit through The Hobbit trilogy again. I'd rather watch Meet the Feebles.
lol, when they announced The Hobbit an unexpected journey I immediately started calling it The Hobbit the totally expected trilogy.

dave2008

Legend
It was awful. I can handle the LotR trilogy and rewatch it. I really won't sit through The Hobbit trilogy again. I'd rather watch Meet the Feebles.
I've watched the Smaug parts more than once - but that is it. It is a shame for me too as I think the Hobbit is a better book to make a movie from.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The Two Towers and RotK, while still good, have more weaknesses, flaws and places where the script betrays the characters.
While this is true overall, I have a hard time ignoring how much better the latter two films treated the hobbits, compared to the nonsense treatment of Merry and Pippin in Fellowship.

There was no legit reason, IMO, to make them useless idiots in Fellowship.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
While this is true overall, I have a hard time ignoring how much better the latter two films treated the hobbits, compared to the nonsense treatment of Merry and Pippin in Fellowship.

In the books, Merry is pretty competent in the trilogy, but until Return of the King, Pippin is a bit of a screw-up - and that's a character theme. He blunders into things and only when it's time to save Faramir from Denethor does he really come into his own. So I'm not too fussed about him being played up for humor in the Fellowship movie.

Until they spent time with the Ents, those two were mostly comic relief in the books too.

As much as I love the LOTR trilogy, Peter Jackson's impulses towards always having comic relief characters did the films no favors (and there is humor in the books, without characters having to put on clownshoes). When the hobbits got more serious, Gimli got more comedic, which still gets me steamed to this day.

MarkB

Legend
As much as I love the LOTR trilogy, Peter Jackson's impulses towards always having comic relief characters did the films no favors (and there is humor in the books, without characters having to put on clownshoes). When the hobbits got more serious, Gimli got more comedic, which still gets me steamed to this day.
Yeah, absolutely. It's when he starts butchering the lore just to get in another "short" joke that I really get annoyed.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
In the books, Merry is pretty competent in the trilogy, but until Return of the King, Pippin is a bit of a screw-up - and that's a character theme. He blunders into things and only when it's time to save Faramir from Denethor does he really come into his own. So I'm not too fussed about him being played up for humor in the Fellowship movie.
Pippin is a bit of a restless knave in the books, but he competently helps Frodo leave the Shire, learns to fight, etc, all in Fellowship.
Until they spent time with the Ents, those two were mostly comic relief in the books too.
Strongly disagree. Like “we read different books” level disagree. Both of them were competent and useful in the Shire.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Pippin is a bit of a restless knave in the books, but he competently helps Frodo leave the Shire, learns to fight, etc, all in Fellowship.

Strongly disagree. Like “we read different books” level disagree. Both of them were competent and useful in the Shire.
Yeah, Peter Jackson really leaned too hard into "everyone needs an arc" when the book is a lot more subtle. Merry and Pippen start as carefree youths eager for adventure who come back wise but traumatized, not as comic relief.

Remove ads

Remove ads