D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Cast Plays A Game Of D&D!

Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Regé-Jean Page, Sophia Lillis, and Justice Smith played a one-shot, two-hour game of D&D before shooting started on the movie. The 30-second video, posted by Paramount Pictures, doesn't actually show the game, but the cast comments on the experience.

Vincent55

Adventurer
You want a “true D&D movie” but you want it to be “high brow”?

That’s certainly a take.
lord of the Rings was an example and D&D is based heavily on these books, or for example, Dragonlance or any number of written books based on this game are far from low brow.

Iosue

Legend
Yeah, where's that meme about what the DM imagines the campaign will be and what the players turn it into. :LOL:
You know, I’ll admit that I didn’t give the 2000 D&D movie a fair shake because it was jokey and silly, when what I really wanted at that time was Lord of the Rings. (Although while I was unfair, I was ultimately right in not wasting my time.) But now, having gotten Lord of the Rings, I don’t really need it anymore. When I saw the first Guardians of the Galaxy, I thought, “This what I want in a D&D movie. A party of hyper-competent screw-ups, punching above their weight to save the world from evil, with humor, heart, and shenanigans.”

But I feel like with this movie, I got so much more. Guardians was reminiscent of D&D. Honor Among Thieves brought the game, as we play it, to life.

You know, I’ll admit that I didn’t give the 2000 D&D movie a fair shake because it was jokey and silly, when what I really wanted at that time was Lord of the Rings. (Although while I was unfair, I was ultimately right in not wasting my time.) But now, having gotten Lord of the Rings, I don’t really need it anymore.
It feels a lot of people felt the same way about the LotR show on Amazon. Probably dropped in to check it out and saw it wasn't what they expected and checked out.

About the Vox Machina show, I wonder how many people tuned out after/during episode one and feel it was jokey and Bad. I told a friend to keep going because it rapidly turns in tone and subject matter pretty quickly I thought

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
It feels a lot of people felt the same way about the LotR show on Amazon. Probably dropped in to check it out and saw it wasn't what they expected and checked out.
I just couldnt follow the plot. It just wasn't interesting, and the characters felt cliché too.
About the Vox Machina show, I wonder how many people tuned out after/during episode one and feel it was jokey and Bad. I told a friend to keep going because it rapidly turns in tone and subject matter pretty quickly I thought
Tone felt all over the place for me. Which, I can certainly see a gaming group being exactly like this. I just found the rapid change in tone from character to character to be a bit jarring. Lost interest. 🤷‍♂️

Stalker0

Legend
Yeah If I had to rate VM after just the first two episodes, it would have rated quite poorly to me. But it significantly improves by episodes 3 and 4

Pentallion

Explorer
2 hours seems awfully short for that many people at the table. Considering that and how much effort it must have taken to get it set up and learn the rules I would have thought they would go longer.
I've run one shots at conventions before. Typically 3-4 hours. 2 hrs is a bit quick. No doubt the pregens were the characters in the movie.

Remove ads

Remove ads