D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie: Action Packed, Funny as Hell

According to Justice Smith, one of the stars of the upcoming Dungeons and Dragons movie, the film is "action-packed, thrilling, funny as hell". https://www.enworld.org/threads/michelle-rodriguez-justice-smith-join-d-d-movie.678118/ In a conversation with Collider, Smith said: [Goldstein and Daley are] incredible. They’re so funny and they have such clear vision. I loved Game Night. That...

According to Justice Smith, one of the stars of the upcoming Dungeons and Dragons movie, the film is "action-packed, thrilling, funny as hell".

dungeons-and-dragons-filming.jpg

In a conversation with Collider, Smith said:

[Goldstein and Daley are] incredible. They’re so funny and they have such clear vision. I loved Game Night. That movie is so good and so funny. And it’s such a clear, specific story. It doesn’t try and be anything that it’s not. I think they approached this the same way. I can’t spoil too much but it’s action-packed, thrilling, funny as hell… it’s all of the things and yet it has a clear idea. That specificity is key in storytelling and John and Jonathan do that so well, being like, "This is the story we’re telling but they’re making it enjoyable the entire time." This is me not trying to spoil the movie in any regards. I’ve given away no details.

The movie, which also stars Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Regé-Jean Page, Hugh Grant, and Sophia Lillis, is scheduled for March 3rd, 2023.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Off putting because they want a SERIOUS BUSINESS movie or off putting because they don't get it?

I guess that kind of humour may not play well in China...
1 part they dont get it, and another part they dont want it.

Undrave

Legend
I guess a lot of people here would prefer a straight forward adventure like those found in the Forgotten Realms novels with lots of lore?

I hope they don't do that.....like I said, I may not have fully understood your first post. Now I do. Not interested, but I can see where others might be.
Fair enough.

payn

I guess a lot of people here would prefer a straight forward adventure like those found in the Forgotten Realms novels with lots of lore?
Here? It seems split between super serious Forgettable Realms novel interpretation, and a monty python tribute. Most people dont even know what a D&D movie means. Which is why I think a parody of the Leslie Neilson style wouldn't work because nobody would have the reference to understand it. I mean, Weird Al doesn't do parodies of Allan Parson Project B sides because nobody would know what the hell is going on.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Here? It seems split between super serious Forgettable Realms novel interpretation, and a monty python tribute. Most people dont even know what a D&D movie means. Which is why I think a parody of the Leslie Neilson style wouldn't work because nobody would have the reference to understand it. I mean, Weird Al doesn't do parodies of Allan Parson Project B sides because nobody would know what the hell is going on.
Nobody is talking about a spoof movie, but a fun lighthearted movie along the lines of the MCU.

payn

Nobody is talking about a spoof movie, but a fun lighthearted movie along the lines of the MCU.
I was speaking to this.
What I'm looking for, more than anything, is a movie where the CHARACTERS take the situations seriously. I basically want everyone to be Leslie Nielson where they say stupid jokes with the serious and gravitas of a Shakespearean actor. I want it to be to Lord of the Ring what "Airplane!" was to that one airplane crash movie. Or like Batman 66. I think that's the kind of tone that would fit D&D. No goofy sidekick who screams at everything, no wink wink at the audience, no juvenile scatological humour... just some wit and earnest characters.

Undrave

Legend
Ah I see... I'm not thinking of it in the sense of a spoof or a parody of an existing work, I was more thinking in term of Leslie Neilson's style of performance. A comedic text but a dramatic performance, essentially. Batman 66 is another exemple where the kids watching can enjoy a straight forward superhero adventure with daring and mystery but the adults can smirk at all the 'BAT something' lable or the goody-two shoes acts of Bruce and Dick whee Batman insists Robin wears a seatbelt in the Batmobile. That sort of double level... But I know it's something of a lost art. Irony killed that kind of comedy... We'll probably just get a quippy action movie in the Marvel mold.

Whatever we get, we need a hammy villain with charisma who can chew the scenery, that's essential! :p

payn

Ah I see... I'm not thinking of it in the sense of a spoof or a parody of an existing work, I was more thinking in term of Leslie Neilson's style of performance. A comedic text but a dramatic performance, essentially. Batman 66 is another exemple where the kids watching can enjoy a straight forward superhero adventure with daring and mystery but the adults can smirk at all the 'BAT something' lable or the goody-two shoes acts of Bruce and Dick whee Batman insists Robin wears a seatbelt in the Batmobile. That sort of double level... But I know it's something of a lost art. Irony killed that kind of comedy... We'll probably just get a quippy action movie in the Marvel mold.

Whatever we get, we need a hammy villain with charisma who can chew the scenery, that's essential! :p
I hear you. I think the time is right for that comedy style to make a comeback, but I dont think D&D is the place for it. I do think the Marvel Guardians tone is the best approach. If this takes off, the sky is the limit for D&D series and films.

Undrave

Legend
I hear you. I think the time is right for that comedy style to make a comeback, but I dont think D&D is the place for it. I do think the Marvel Guardians tone is the best approach. If this takes off, the sky is the limit for D&D series and films.
Guardians of the Galaxy makes sense yeah.

twincast

Explorer
One thing to note IMNSHO is that while "Dungeons & Dragons" works fine for any sort of game, it's a bad fit for any film that is more serious than The Princess Bride.

If it is to be more in the vein of The Lord of the Rings, the format ought to be "[setting name]: [epic title]" with a smaller Dungeons & Dragons logo (or something like "A Dungeons & Dragons Movie") for branding purposes directly above or below it, but not part of the actual title.

Remove ads

Remove ads