D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie: Action Packed, Funny as Hell

According to Justice Smith, one of the stars of the upcoming Dungeons and Dragons movie, the film is "action-packed, thrilling, funny as hell". https://www.enworld.org/threads/michelle-rodriguez-justice-smith-join-d-d-movie.678118/ In a conversation with Collider, Smith said: [Goldstein and Daley are] incredible. They’re so funny and they have such clear vision. I loved Game Night. That...

According to Justice Smith, one of the stars of the upcoming Dungeons and Dragons movie, the film is "action-packed, thrilling, funny as hell".

dungeons-and-dragons-filming.jpg

In a conversation with Collider, Smith said:

[Goldstein and Daley are] incredible. They’re so funny and they have such clear vision. I loved Game Night. That movie is so good and so funny. And it’s such a clear, specific story. It doesn’t try and be anything that it’s not. I think they approached this the same way. I can’t spoil too much but it’s action-packed, thrilling, funny as hell… it’s all of the things and yet it has a clear idea. That specificity is key in storytelling and John and Jonathan do that so well, being like, "This is the story we’re telling but they’re making it enjoyable the entire time." This is me not trying to spoil the movie in any regards. I’ve given away no details.

The movie, which also stars Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Regé-Jean Page, Hugh Grant, and Sophia Lillis, is scheduled for March 3rd, 2023.

Retreater

Legend
If they had just called the D&D movie something generic and not tie it to the game, it was a decent but still-not-good film, but it wouldn't get the same level of hate it does to this day. But Snails, yeah. He was the worst.
If it had just been called "Quest for the Dragon Rod" I doubt if many of us would've seen it, or if it would've been a big budget release with Jeremy Irons.
Snails' death (more the aftermath of it) had a bit of personal connection to me, because we had just lost a member of our gaming group very young and suddenly.
And I think that's part of why it seemed cheap to me. Fantasy deserves to be treated with some gravitas, not just as a tongue-in-cheek joke. You can have real emotion in fantasy, like LOTR, or even in a comedic fantasy adventure (both Guardians of the Galaxy films get me).

It still boggles my mind that Marlon Wayans was literally filming the Dungeons & Dragons movie and Requiem for a Dream at the same time. I suspect he, like Jeremy Irons, knew that the movie he was making was going to be garbage, and hammed it up.

Honestly, if you told me I had to get rid of either Ridley or Snails, I would give Ridley the boot in a heartbeat.

If they had just called the D&D movie something generic and not tie it to the game, it was a decent but still-not-good film, but it wouldn't get the same level of hate it does to this day. But Snails, yeah. He was the worst.

Retreater

Legend
Honestly, if you told me I had to get rid of either Ridley or Snails, I would give Ridley the boot in a heartbeat.
Ridley? She was the best character in the Alien series. Oh wait. That was Ripley.
There was a "Ridley" in the D&D movie? Was that a completely forgettable male lead? I have vague memories of Riff-Raff, tall dwarves, blue lipstick, Jeremy Irons, a beholder guard dog, and not much else.

Would it help if I called him by his full name, "Ridley Freeborn?" What, no, it doesn't?

Ridley? She was the best character in the Alien series. Oh wait. That was Ripley.
There was a "Ridley" in the D&D movie? Was that a completely forgettable male lead? I have vague memories of Riff-Raff, tall dwarves, blue lipstick, Jeremy Irons, a beholder guard dog, and not much else.

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter

The Doctor; don’t forget he was in it

Remove ads

Remove ads