• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Multiverse as setting - do you do it?

redrick

First Post
We plane-hopped out of a mostly uncooked generic setting into Mystara after completing the first leg of our campaign. So I guess that sort of counts as a shared universe, since we entered a totally different setting with its own rules and pantheons after several months of play. On the other hand, our starting setting didn't really have a pantheon, or much of anything else, which is why I say sort of.

I could see plane-hopping to another setting for a brief adventure, but I don't think I'd want to do it often or in any extended fashion, unless I had already played extensively in the new setting before. Picking up a new setting takes a lot of work to learn it and adapt it to my needs, and it also takes some time for player buy-in. My experience with starting a Mystara campaign at 6th level is that it's a bit like starting a new character at 6th level — all the adventures and plot-lines that we should have done at low levels to help flesh out and build up our take on the setting got skipped. Start with a small town and a simple, naive ruler. Face a simple threat, monster or dungeon nearby. Earn some renown and start exploring outwards to face bigger, badder threats and earn more renown, or at least more gold. That's still what we're doing, but it takes a little more work with mid-level adventurers.

S

Sunseeker

I use a slightly more "multi" multiverse, but the concept is essentially the same. "Gods" are not necessarily universal singularities though and are truly more concepts than killable creatures. If Tiamat dies in one universe that doesn't have any explicit bearing on Tiamat in another universe, or maybe it does.

Whether the world at hand is aware of the multiverse or capable of interacting with it is an entirely different story entirely. But given they had the ability to breach the barriers of reality (which has consequences of its own) them quite possibly they could find themselves in some other, alternate established setting. But to do so is a bit of a catch 22, you need to know where you're going before you can get there, breaking through the dimensions without having a fixed target is going to result in some bad business.

aramis erak

Legend
D&D Multiverse as setting - do you do it?

1) What I'm getting at is: Do you or your group usually treat your D&D campaigns as existing within one giant shared universe?
Yes... but... not one that is readily accessible to the rest of the multiverse, and not to the main D&D worlds, either.
2) If so, do you use the classic Spelljammer/Planescape approach?
No. My homebrew world is accessible only during specific events... and those are several hundred years apart. And the grab hundreds of beings in a dozen races each, plus a few dozen monsters each.
3) Have you taken the next step with a crossover campaign?
Not exactly... but I have made spelljammers available in the past on this same world, and none of the groups have ever left atmosphere.

I'd like to use the Multiverse. A campaign with a planar bent would be cool, and one that plays with PlaneScape and Sigil or bounces between worlds would be neat. But it's too low on what I want to do for me to consider. Right now I want to play in my homebrew some more, run a couple pre-published adventures, and maybe do something with the Midnight campaign setting.

pemerton

Legend
No. Cosmologies (different for each long-running campaign) are campaign specific.

That said, if my current 4e game ends up with the Primordials winning the Dusk War, and we start a new 4e campaign at some stage, Dark Sun would be a good candidate - the world that resulted from the Primordial's victory!

Alkavian

First Post
My own games typically exist in a homebrew setting I call "Forelorn". I use specific racial deities from the shared multiverse such as Tiamat, Lloth, or Garl Glittergold, but I also have some core pantheon deities which cover broader bases than specific races. I use the "great wheel" concept for breakdown of the planes (if its not broke why fix it).

I have played world specific games before with my groups (i.e. Ravenloft or Darksun), but we always seem to find our way back to the world we've built together over the last 15+ years.

I'm open to this idea.

Rather, I'm open to this idea for everything except my beloved Eberron, whose cosmology is unique and self-contained and pure and complete.

I got into D&D as 3E was launching, and so I never played either Planescape or Spelljammer. That said, I find Spelljammer fascinating because of its sci-fi/gonzo-fantasy mashup potential. I want to get Gamma World in my Spelljammer. I want Gammajammer.

Basically, I reserve the right to use or abuse settings at my table however the mood strikes me.

Fildrigar

Explorer
All I gotta say is, "we'll see." The party is just 4th level right now, and will be 15-ish after PotA. Where they end up after this is anyone's guess at this point. They may want to do some planes hopping, they may want to settle down, retire and roll up some fresh young faces. I wouldn't be opposed to them taking a trip into the multiverse. I've still got a mint copy of Spelljammer around here somewhere...

Remove ads