• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D New Edition Design Looks Soon?

WotC’s Ray Winninger has hinted on Twitter that we may be seeing something of the 2024 next edition of D&D soon — “you’ll get a first look at some of the new design work soon.”.

WotC’s Ray Winninger has hinted on Twitter that we may be seeing something of the 2024 next edition of D&D soon — “you’ll get a first look at some of the new design work soon.”.

DF9A3109-D723-4DBC-9633-79A5894C83FF.jpeg

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I suspect Lineage would allows choice of any feat asRace has more mechanical meat.

Background has less and thus would limitedto feats like Skilled, Tough,, and other specially tailor feats.

Successful doesn't mean perfect.

5e has a few widely accepted issues and a few common compliants that were not taken care of due to a no major errata policy.
Yeah, the Strixhaven and Dragonlance Backgrounds beg to differ.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Yeah, the Strixhaven and Dragonlance Backgrounds beg to differ.
Strixhaven and Dragonlance have a higher assumption of based power than normal 5e according to WOTC. That's why you get a feat in your background.

I doubt 5.5e will give everyone a free feat for free because many people say 5e is too easy as is and base PCs are too powerful.

If 5e have a Optional Flaw system, then mabye you could take a flaw to get a feat. This is whay I see them doing with Custom Lineages. You can take an Undeath Lineage and get a feat and some undead like features but have to take a Flaw of Undeath like vulerablity to fire or disadvantage to being charmed or frightened.

JEB

Legend
Many things didn't reach 90% approval that the original surveys required in order to get into first version of the edition. As Time passed the percentage of threshold needed to be added into the game lowered and lowered and now we're at the point where the very popular but not extremely popular items are now hitting the game and you're seeing those being added into it.
Based on Dragon Talk #164, "Wolfgang Baur and Meagan Maricle", 20 December 2017 - which I just listened to for another thread - the threshold at that point was 70% satisfaction. (For context, this was the threshold in place for Xanathar's.)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Strixhaven and Dragonlance have a higher assumption of based power than normal 5e according to WOTC. That's why you get a feat in your background.

I doubt 5.5e will give everyone a free feat for free because many people say 5e is too easy as is and base PCs are too powerful.

If 5e have a Optional Flaw system, then mabye you could take a flaw to get a feat. This is whay I see them doing with Custom Lineages. You can take an Undeath Lineage and get a feat and some undead like features but have to take a Flaw of Undeath like vulerablity to fire or disadvantage to being charmed or frightened.
Crawford essentially said that they were looking st making a free Feat tied to Background the norm in the Sage Advice at the time the Drsgonlance UA came out.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Crawford essentially said that they were looking st making a free Feat tied to Background the norm in the Sage Advice at the time the Drsgonlance UA came out.
Creawford literally said in the Revisted Dragonlance UA video "If you are playing a group of characters in this global fantasy war (the War of the Lance) you have extra capabilities."

So the free feat or feats will likely only be for high power settings like Dragonlance, Strixhaven, and Dark Sun.
Normal settings will likely require a cost to get a bonus feat.

So there will be 2 Feat Settings, 1 Feat Settings, and 0 Feat Settings.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
True: my wild speculation is that the new Starter Set coming out next month might have some different Class features for the Pregens than the 2014 Core standard. Classes are the big Wildcard possibility for radical change, since they are modular rules.
Classes, races, feats, spells, backgrounds, equipment, monsters, magic items, DM guidance and options.

But thats all! No big changes!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads