D&D 5E D&D New Edition Design Looks Soon?

WotC’s Ray Winninger has hinted on Twitter that we may be seeing something of the 2024 next edition of D&D soon — “you’ll get a first look at some of the new design work soon.”.

WotC’s Ray Winninger has hinted on Twitter that we may be seeing something of the 2024 next edition of D&D soon — “you’ll get a first look at some of the new design work soon.”.

DF9A3109-D723-4DBC-9633-79A5894C83FF.jpeg

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Sure but changing the chassis is absolutely vital too, because the chassis is "A 1970s stereotype of a Chinese Shaolin Monk" in terms of the built-in abilities and so on.
a slight error it is a copy of a guy who learned karate then it dressed in Shaolin cosplay, personally I want to separate the fighting style from the subclass as it would make building more variety easier plus we could do much more cool archetypes for subclasses with out sacrificing the core of the martial arts.

A bunch of half-arsed subclasses which touch on a concept that obviously should be a class is not a smart or effective way to handle things.
It's not that obvious.

From my point of view Eldritch Knights, Hexblades & Bladesingers are good-looking-and-functionnal "Sword & Magic" heroes : the concept is succesfully done in 5e.

Last edited:

I don't see the changes they've previewed as a few tweaks. You do, so we're just not going to agree on this.
We don't have to. We just have to be clear about the fact, that "those who want a 6e should get one" only want what they see as a minor system upgrade, evolution, not revolution. So no, making a completely different edition won't make most of them them happy.

Sure, but they want an edition change so they can have an edition all to themselves. Which they can do now.

I don't know who is they. I have not seen anyone asking for a system change. I surely don't want a system change. I want a compilation of the changes that already have happened.

teitan

Legend
X-Men came out 10 years before 5e. And Iron Man came out 4 years prior. I've never heard anything about the "superhero bubble bursting". We had 10 years of it constantly growing in popularity. That's why marvel was able to churn them out after 2008 as a way to print money.
There was a lot of talk about the superhero bubble bursting before the MCU hit is big and how doing their own movies was a huge gamble for Marvel. The Avengers was a big risk on their end and it paid off, especially their long game storytelling. And the superhero Bubble did burst. Marvel succeeded by genre diversification. But I still seriously, 110% doubt it had an influence on 5e. People like cool powers. They gave people cool powers. Nothing more than that. 4e was all about them minis because they were a huge success and Hasbro saw dollar signs. It was trying to cash in on MMO’s because they were popular and trying to get some of that money. 5e wasn’t even a blip to Hasbro when it came out. They had a shoe string budget to work on and had to farm everything out. Mearls and company wanted to make a game people wanted and it was made based on feedback from the playtest, not from Hasbro bean counters. We know this was a fact.

Because a spell slot is one of the ways you can pay for a moderate AC on your caster. Opportunity costs are costs too – dragonborn or mountain dwarves generally speaking are not very good choices for wizards (no Int bonus or anything else that makes them better at actually casting).
except the proof is that mage armor at will isn't broken is shadow armor
They are close when evaluating them as a whole. A small AC bonus that lasts all day, or a big AC bonus that lasts one round? Yeah, that seems balanced to me. They just have their power in different parts of the spell: mage armor has a long duration, and shield has a strong effect. It's like asking what makes a bigger hole: a shovel, or a stick of dynamite. The dynamite can make a pretty big hole once detonated, but probably not as big a hole as you could get working with a shovel all day long (assuming reasonably loose soil). But if someone offers you a whole crate of shovels, or a whole crate of dynamite, that changes things. More shovels won't be useful, because you can still only use one at a time. Sure, it might be neat to have an extra in case the one you're using breaks, but that's a marginal issue. But a whole crate of dynamite means you can set them off one after another and make a REALLY big hole. That doesn't mean that "stick of dynamite" is a better digging tool than "shovel", only that the shovel hits diminishing returns much sooner.
except the proof is that mage armor at will isn't broken is shadow armor

I can see you need to prep it, I can see you need to 'know' it... but why do you need to spend a slot? cause tradition

My laugh is for this line, though I actually sympathize. Those two spells out to be made good, or just gotten rid of.
friends, true strike, and blade ward have VERY situational uses but are NEVER worth taking. I even made a magic ring called 'the ring of uselessness' that had all three cantrips each 1/day and didn't require attunment... a PC had it for 12 levels and never once found a use for it.

teitan

Legend
look up what movies have made over a billion dollars. look at the highest grossing movies of the last 5 years...

if this is a bust I PRAY for a bust like it any day now.
Various articles going back years on the expected bust.

So superhero movies back when Marvel was kicking off were not considered sure fire hits unless they had Batman. Even Spider-Man was flopping. When D&D came out there were articles coming out from major news sources asking about superhero fatigue. That they still would go on to routinely break 1bn in worldwide sales was a couple years off. Even Age of Ultron did not do as well as expected before it became routine for even mediocre films like Captain Marvel to do 1bn without blinking.

Reynard

Legend
So superhero movies back when Marvel was kicking off were not considered sure fire hits unless they had Batman. Even Spider-Man was flopping. When D&D came out there were articles coming out from major news sources asking about superhero fatigue. That they still would go on to routinely break 1bn in worldwide sales was a couple years off. Even Age of Ultron did not do as well as expected before it became routine for even mediocre films like Captain Marvel to do 1bn without blinking.
I've completely lost the thread: why are we talking about super hero movies?

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Various articles going back years on the expected bust.

I think only now are we truly getting superhero fatigue as the lack of direction is hurting them at marvel and everyone else seems to struggle to do as well.

Remove ads

Remove ads