D&D 5E D&D New Edition Design Looks Soon?

WotC’s Ray Winninger has hinted on Twitter that we may be seeing something of the 2024 next edition of D&D soon — “you’ll get a first look at some of the new design work soon.”.

WotC’s Ray Winninger has hinted on Twitter that we may be seeing something of the 2024 next edition of D&D soon — “you’ll get a first look at some of the new design work soon.”.

DF9A3109-D723-4DBC-9633-79A5894C83FF.jpeg

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
  • Hunter subclass features feel more like base class features (I'm biased because I proposed the original hunter features before the playtest on the old WOTC forums).
As an aside - I suspect that some designers would intentionally not look at forums. Clearly you didn't sue WotC for payment for use of your ideas (... I think?) but you could have. If the designer can swear in court they never look at the forums, they can claim they came up with the idea independently

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
The problem with making the ranger based on a particular terrain (at least combat-wise) is that that makes them the most situational of classes. Either you base their power level outside of the terrain in which case they become OP inside it, or you base it on being in their terrain in which case they're weak outside of it.

I've seen many rangers played in older edition, and the situational aspect (the right terrain, the right enemy) definitely was an important aspect of the class, and I'm not sure it was a good one...

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
As an aside - I suspect that some designers would intentionally not look at forums. Clearly you didn't sue WotC for payment for use of your ideas (... I think?) but you could have. If the designer can swear in court they never look at the forums, they can claim they came up with the idea independently
Oh forums are chock full of bad Ideas.

I couldn't have sued WOTC. They executed my idea terribly so the judge woulda throw it out. Plus if I won, this poorly designed class would be attributed to me.

Reynard

Legend
Minigiant couldn't have. That's not how game design intellectual property works.

Rangers can have pets. The issue is that how a ranger uses a pet is different from how a "pet class" uses a pet.

The D&D ranger would not play pokemon with their companion. It would use it as a flanker, harrier, mount, or focal point for their magic. It would require less design space if you focus down on the role.

A pet class would be a great addition for people who want PC power pets.
Yep I totally agree there. A beastmaster ranger could probably still work fine alongside a main pet class. As one would be getting most of their class power from the pet, and could probably ride it too.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
In keeping with the idea I have that Superiority Die should be generally used in more places beyond a single subclass of Fighter (I still think all fighters should use it). I think Monks can tap a little into Superiority Die, maybe something like 1 Ki point does a maneuver and it's their martial arts damage die that determines the size of the Superiority Die roll. Some Bards (the more fighty-ones as opposed to the more spellcastery ones) could use a bardic performance to do a Manuever with their Bardic Performance Die as the Superiority Die roll.
This is kinda brilliant.

Remove ads

Remove ads