• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Next "genre books" replace d20 Modern

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I play D&D because it is D&D...it is Dungeons and Dragons.

Not Spies & Syndicates.

Not Gore & Gothchicks.

Not Galaxies & Gammarays.

Not Wayfarers & Westerns, Cowboys & Indians, Cops & Robbers or Mutants & Megamen.

Dungeons and Dragons. Fantasy. Magic. Elves, dwarves, goblins, ogres, wizards, warriors and wyrms (Oh MY!).

The D&D "Brand", yes, could be applied to any type of PnP RPG. But I do not think this is something to be concerned with for 5e. Get THAT right. Get D&D Next role-playing game of adventuring high fantasy right...then worry about what to do next.

Still, very ambitious and extensively thorough concept. I just don't think it would fly.

--SD

S

Sunseeker

d20 Modern could be considered a past edition of D&D.

"could be" sure, but I feel it's diversified enough to be more than D&D. IMO some of these products would feel a little awkward under the "Dungeons and Dragons" header.

IMO some of these products would feel a little awkward under the "Dungeons and Dragons" header.

Like the recent D&D Gamma World game, the cover wouldn't include the whole "Dungeons & Dragons" logo, but would feature the abbreviated "D&D" logo.

Expanding the D&D brand identity to cover non-fantasy genres is like how Porsche and Cadillac made trucks (SUVs) and Jeep is considering making a sportscar.

Then "D&D" just means "rpg", like "Kleenex" means "facial tissue", "Band-Aid" means "adhesive bandage", or "Frisbee" means "throwing disc".

S

Sunseeker

Like the recent D&D Gamma World game, the cover wouldn't include the whole "Dungeons & Dragons" logo, but would feature the abbreviated "D&D" logo.

Expanding the D&D brand identity to cover non-fantasy genres is like how Porsche and Cadillac made trucks (SUVs) and Jeep is considering making a sportscar.

Then "D&D" just means "rpg", like "Kleenex" means "facial tissue", "Band-Aid" means "adhesive bandage", or "Frisbee" means "throwing disc".

I really don't like making D&D that generic though.

I really don't like making D&D that generic though.

I am in no way advocating that the 5e design team take these other genres into account as they design D&D Next. As poster steeldragons stated, the priority is to make 5e the best iteration of D&D as a medieval fantasy game.

Then, once that's in place, a whole series of D&D sourcebooks for other imaginative genres would employ these very same rules. These rules would be applied to very specific genres. There would be no abstract, overarching generic game separate from D&D. All these Genre Books would refer back to the PHB, DMG, and MM in the same way that Oriental Adventures does.

Remove ads