• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Next "genre books" replace d20 Modern

Genre Books for D&D Next:

These are all 100% compatible with fantasy D&D Next rules and settings.

The Genre Books series covers all:
  • The d20 Modern, d20 Future, and d20 Past campaign models
  • The d20 mini-games from Polyhedron magazine
  • The Alternity campaign settings
  • The Amazing Engine campaign settings.
  • The settings of the non-medieval TSR mini-games
  • The other TSR/WotC rpgs, such as Boot Hill and Top Secret
Plus Campaign Models from existing D&D Worlds, showing how these Genres can be played in a Fantasy campaign.

Whereas the Culture Books cover the Ancient, Medieval, and Renaissance cultures, along with the "timeless" Indigenous cultures, the Genre Books cover post-Renaissance fictional genres, from the French Revolution and Industrial Revolution, onward.

D&D Modern
  • Campaign Models:
    • Urban Arcana
    • DarkMatter
    • Shadow Chasers
    • Agents of PSI
    • Genetech
    • Magitech setting from Amazing Engine.
    • Greyhawk 2000
  • Besides Greyhawk 2000, modern versions of all published D&D Worlds, with technology and cultural level equivalent to present-day 2012. For those Worlds which feature Real World correlations, keep it straightforward (e.g. Shou Lung = China) so that it's easy to use D&D Earth adventures and resources (e.g. culture books).
    • "Modern Realms": something like: Faerunian Union, United Realms of Anchorome (URA), People's Republic of Shou Lung, etc.
    • "Modern Eberron"
    • "Modern Athas"
    • "Modern Aebrynis"
    • "Modern Mystara". something like: The Known Union, the United Coast of the Southold (UCS).
    • "Modern Krynn"
    • "Modern Nerath"
D&D Pulp
  • Campaign Models:
    • Pulp Heroes d20 mini-game, later campaign model from d20 Past
    • The Seedy Streets of Northport, setting for Pulp Heroes in Polyhedron Magazine
    • Iron Lords of Jupiter from Polyhedron
    • Shadow Stalkers from d20 Past
    • Masque of the Red Death
    • V is for Victory from d20 Modern
    • For Faerie, Queen, and Country from Amazing Engine
    • Gangbusters
    • Dawn Patrol (there was D&D-Dawn Patrol crossover in Frank Mentzer's AC4: The Book of Marvellous Magic)
  • Better than Thrilling Tales. Maybe collaborate with GM Skarka.
D&D Supers
  • Campaign Models:
    • Golden Age supers in D&D Earth
    • Silver Age supers in D&D Earth
    • Bronze Age supers in D&D Earth
    • Modern Age supers in D&D Earth
    • Red Curse of Mystara (Red Steel/Savage Coast) designed as superpowers
  • Better than MnM. A tough act to follow. Maybe collaborate with Steven Kenson.
D&D Anime
  • Campaign Models for all the different anime subgenres
  • Better than BESM
D&D Mecha
  • Campaign Models:
    • Mecha Crusade from d20 Future
    • Earthshakers from Mystara
  • Better than Battletech and d20 Mecha by Guardians of Order
D&D Western
  • Campaign Models:
    • Boot Hill
    • Cimarron County in Mystara (Red Steel/Savage Coast)
    • Remember the Alamo from the TSR mini-game
    • 5e stats for Murlynd
  • Better than Sidewinder and Deadlands
D&D Pirates
  • Also serves as "Caribbean Adventures" culture book for Afro-Caribbean, Taino, and Carib Indian cultures.
  • Campaign Models:
    • Pirates of the Sea of Fallen Stars in Toril
    • Merry Pirates of the Hollow World
    • Nuari of the Pearl Islands of Mystara (Afro-Caribbeans)
    • Caymen (Carib Indians) from AC2: Combat Shield and Mini-Adventure
  • Better than Skull & Bones and 7th Sea: Swashbuckling Adventures
D&D Spies
  • Campaign Models:
    • Top Secret
    • Glantrian Diplomatic Corps from Mystara
  • Better than Spycraft
D&D Comedy
  • Compile the silliest D&D monsters, magic items, spells, and so forth.
  • The little-known Goldshitter from a Basic D&D Hebrew-language adventure module, is probably the most silly monster in all the D&D Worlds.
  • Stats for the Dread Gazebo.
  • Resources: "The Stupidest D&D Monsters" website and the April Fools Dragon magazine issues.
  • 5e Jester class or theme
  • Also comedic settings for D&D Modern campaigns.
  • Campaign Models:
    • Hi-Jinx from d20 Modern
    • Thunderball Rally from d20 Modern
    • Tabloid! from Amazing Engine
    • They've Invaded Pleasantville and Icebergs TSR mini-games. The funny thing about Icebergs is that TSR made such a weird little game.
    • Mystara's Kingdom of Ierendi as portrayed as the Magnum P.I. television show, and the Broken Lands as portrayed in GAZ10: Orcs of Thar and the OrcWars! game
    • The Whamite Isles in the Forgotten Realms from The Great Khan Game.
    • The alternate "joke-version" of Castle Greyhawk from WG7 . This is an alternate timeline of Oerth.
    • Campaign Models for the comics featured in Dragon Magazine over the years: Wormy, SnarfQuest, Yamara, Knights of the Dinner Table, Nodwick, Dork Tower, and The Order of the Stick
  • Better than Hackmaster, Green Ronin's Damnation Decade, and SJG's Toon and Munchkin rpgs
D&D Sci-Fi
  • Campaign Models:
    • Star Frontiers (also encompassing Star Law campaign model from d20 Future)
    • Star*Drive
    • Bughunters from Amazing Engine and d20 FutureFrom the Dark Heart of Space from d20 Future
    • The Galactos Barrier from Amazing Engine
    • Once and Future King from Amazing Engine
    • Revolt on Antares from Tom Moldvay's TSR mini-game
    • Attack Force TSR mini-game. Novaship and Arcturus
    • Home setting of the spaceship from Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
    • Galactic Federation from Mystara (essentially D&D Star Trek)
  • Better than Traveller
D&D Cyberscape
  • Campaign Models:
    • CyberRave from d20 Cyberscape
    • Deathnet d20 mini-game
    • Kromosome from Amazing Engine (?)
D&D Apocalypse
  • Campaign Models:
  • Gamma World (including Omega World)
  • The Wasteland from d20 Future
  • Atomic Sunrise from d20 Apocalypse
  • Earth Inherited from d20 Apocalypse
  • Plague World from d20 Apocalypse
  • Campaign Models set in the aftermath of the historic apocalypses of the D&D Worlds:
    • The Rain of Colorless Fire from Greyhawk
    • The Great Rain of Fire from Mystara and Blackmoor
    • The Cataclysm from Dragonlance
    • The Apocalypse Stone from AD&D 2e
  • Better than Darwin's World.
D&D Colonial (or D&D New World; North and South America: 1500s to 1700s)
  • Campaign Models:
    • New Waterdeep and New Amn in Toril
    • Various Savage Coast countries in Mystara
D&D Timetravel
  • Supports not only timetravel, but all dimension-hopping inter-genre campaigns
  • Classes: Chronomancer, Temporal Champion, Temporal Raider, Dimensional Ranger
  • Resource: "Chronomancy and the Multiverse" by Roger Moore. Describes how time-travel applies to each D&D World.
  • Campaign Models:
    • Mystara: The Nexus from CM6: Where Chaos Reigns ; perhaps an "I, Oard" campaign model
    • Tales from the Comeback Inn, bringing Blackmoor to any campaign
    • The River of Time: time-travel in Krynn
    • Dimension X from d20 Future
    • Tangents from Alternity
From: https://sites.google.com/site/dndphilmont/genre-books

Last edited:

S

Sunseeker

I don't think so.

Wizards is doing their darnedest just to reclaim past-editioners. Attempting to claim other markets(such as sci-fi, gothic horror, ect...) would water down what D&D is, which IMO, means a primarily high fantasy game.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
As a rule, I agree with [MENTION=93444]shidaku[/MENTION] in this. D&D is a broad brand, so I'm not against books describing a wide variety in play, but always centered around traditional fantasy. If I'm going to play a different kind of game, I'll play an entirely different game or use a system like Savage Worlds that is designed to handle a wider variety of settings.

Still, your breakdown is good food for thought.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Plent of people use the phrase "playing D&D" to describe any PnP rpg and any genre. After d20 Modern didn't really hit it, it would be nice to see a game that worked well enough that it could be adapted to all settings.

To be honest, I don't feel that the world needs another generic system. D&D did all that with the D20 system, and it's a really low priority for me at least. There are other systems that do the whole multigenre thing better than D20, and really what I'm after is a more focussed product that captures the fantasy genre alone (although still generic).

Mattachine

Adventurer
My two coppers:
Spycraft>Top Secret (and I played Top Secret back in the 80's and Spycraft several years ago)

Toon>other comedy/silly games, with Paranoia a close second

I don't think everything is, or should be, a d20 style game. Some games are better when players have more narrative control, some games don't need flat, d20 distributions, and so on.

delericho

Legend
While I liked the concept of "d20 Modern", and many of the campaign models it supported, the truth is that I will probably never play it again. Other games just do better jobs in almost every field it covers.

Further, the vary "toolkit" approach taken by "d20 Modern" is something of a weakness - the game is just too heavy for rapid prototyping, and I just don't have the time to heavily customise a game any more. So, something like "Savage Worlds" or nWoD will always get the nod ahead of it.

Actually, that's probably my biggest worry with 5e right there - a modular approach is likely to mean more work for me to tailor the game to the way I want to play, and doing that work may be more trouble than it's worth. Beyond a certain point, I'm going to abandon it in favour of sticking with 3e (despite being well aware of the faults of the latter).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads