D&D 5E D&D Next name?

Li Shenron

Legend
I thought DNDNext was quite final, but "Dungeons & Dragons" would appear on the cover just like in 3ed and 4ed.

Maybe most things haven't been set in stone yet? Are there things set in stone yet?

Currently they are more like set in mud.

They haven't added Transmute mud to rock to the playtest packets yet.

babomb

First Post
As much as I don't want them to call it just "Dungeons & Dragons" without the edition, it could be worse.

They could have the kind of marketers who think it's cool to replace letters with numbers, giving us "Dungeon5 & Dragon5".

Or they could just call it "D&D" without it being an abbreviation for anything anymore, in the same way that KFC no longer stands for "Kentucky Fried Chicken", and AT&T no longer stands for "American Telephone and Telegraph".

Personally, I'm hoping for "Dungeons & Dragons: The Next Generation".

Kinak

First Post
In speech, I always just call it "5th Edition" or "5th." If I need to be subtly disrespectful or troll my friends, it'll be "5.0"

Not making the Edition obvious seems like a poor decision to me. It's annoying trying to sort out what Edition people mean, doubly so if it literally doesn't have one.

Actually, an example from Monday, when I was talking to a friend that'll be joining our Pathfinder group.
Me: So what game did you play with Dan?
Friend: Dungeons and Dragons.
Me: Do you know what edition?
Friend: They just called it D&D. But it was kind of nice, they had this program that took care of all the character stuff for you. It was pretty cool.
Me: So, 4th Edition?
Friend: I guess.

If we end up playing 5th, I definitely wouldn't want to send anyone to buy a Player's Handbook unless they're labeled as "5th Edition" or "Next" or whatever. And even if they are labeled, I hope our FLGS is out of 4e stock before 5th comes out.

I'd hate to be the guy to tell a new player "Oh, you bought the wrong book labeled 'Dungeons & Dragons Players Handbook."

Cheers!
Kinak

Warbringer

Explorer
Maybe, but I don't believe they are supposed to make potential customers feel negatively toward the product.

Well, they're not usually for public consumption, rather an obscure name to not give the competition insight into your product development cycle.

This should have been 5e from the start as the public playtest is a branding experience.

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
They need to make the edition clear, so my girlfriend doesn't pick up 4th ed books by accident for xmas and then all my hopes and dreams will be ruined I say!

They haven't decided yet. But simply "Dungeons & Dragons" with no other descriptor is Mike Mearls' choice.
There are already two editions just called "Dungeons & Dragons", which we call "OD&D" and "Basic" to differentiate.

If they call it that, then everyone will call it 5e regardless.

Remove ads