D&D 5E D&D Next name?

delericho

Legend
If we end up playing 5th, I definitely wouldn't want to send anyone to buy a Player's Handbook unless they're labeled as "5th Edition" or "Next" or whatever. And even if they are labeled, I hope our FLGS is out of 4e stock before 5th comes out.

Actually, that's a worrying point, whatever they call the edition: a quick search for "players handbook" on amazon.co.uk brings up 9 D&D related books (everything from the 'new cover' AD&D book (that is, not the reprint) from 1st Ed right through to the 3.5e Premium reprint and 4e's PHB3). If you're a new player who knows only that you want "Dungeons & Dragons" and "Player's Handbook", how do you make sure you get the right one?

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
They could call it D&D, the 2013 edition (no, of course I'm not being serious).

It is a problem making the latest version of something that has so many versions distinctive as the latest thing. Because it won't be the latest thing after a while.

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
Mazes and Monsters the Tom Hanks edition

You are standing in the cavern of the evil wizard. All around you are the carcasses of slain ice dwarfs...
-Melt the wizard.
What do you want to melt him with?

-What do you think I want to melt him with...

(Josh, don't forget to take out the garbage) Just a second!

Throw the...
(Josh, did you hear what your mother said?) One minute! (Josh Baskin!)

Your hesitancy has cost you dearly. The wizard, sensing your apprehension, unleashes a fatal blow from the ice scepter. With luck, you will thaw in several million years.
-Great.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
Since I don't believe it'll get released till 2014, D&D 2014
With possible subtitle - Welcome Back Kotter ( substitute your name here. ) Edition

I'd be fine either with D&D 5th ed. or just D&D.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
We can be confident that it will be called Dungeons & Dragons. Really, the question is whether it will say Fifth Edition on the cover and advertising, or only in the forward.

Remove ads