D&D 5E D&D Next name?

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
So, I have been watching the progress, testing, and discussions on the next D&D edition with much confusion and puzzlement, even more so than 4th edition where I could actually name things that I liked and disliked. Here I can't seem to get a clear handle of anything. Maybe most things haven't been set in stone yet? Are there things set in stone yet? I have no idea. But at this stage the biggest question on my mind is one I haven't seen addressed. Maybe it has, but I just missed it (possible).

What is the game going to be called?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
They haven't decided yet. But simply "Dungeons & Dragons" with no other descriptor is Mike Mearls' choice.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
They haven't decided yet. But simply "Dungeons & Dragons" with no other descriptor is Mike Mearls' choice.
Oh wow. That's like the worst name they could choose. You want your product to have visibility. Having people search for "Dungeons & Dragons" obscures what they are selling now, because that's not the top search that is going to come up. It's going to be the older editions.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Oh wow. That's like the worst name they could choose. You want your product to have visibility. Having people search for "Dungeons & Dragons" obscures what they are selling now, because that's not the top search that is going to come up. It's going to be the older editions.

Tell their market research contractors, quick!

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Tell their market research contractors, quick!
Hello sarcasm, my old friend, how are you? How I've missed you. Many were the adventures we had together, but alas, we had to depart our separate ways when things went overboard. Who am I kidding, I see you all the time. You keep eating my fridge empty. At least bring something with you next gamenight, sheesh. :D

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
When I google "Dungeons and Dragons" the top searches, outside of general info, are all 4e, video game, or movie related.

I imagine that Next will take the 4e spot when it comes out, no matter what it's called.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Companies spend large sums of money making sure their current products show up on search engines.

I expect this to be the case when they actually have a product.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Just seems to me that it would be cost effective to choose a name people would already be searching for, like 5th edition D&D. I type '5th ed' into Google and 8 of the 10 suggestions are D&D.

darjr

I crit!
I think it's already named 5th ed. Just not by WotC.

My search for Dungeons and Dragons gets me ddo and ddi as the first three results.

delericho

Legend
My expectation would be for it to be called simply "Dungeons & Dragons" on the cover, possibly with a small note that it's the fifth edition hidden away somewhere. However, inside the covers it will no doubt state clearly that it is the fifth edition, probably as part of the Foreword and/or a "History of D&D" sidebar.

Regardless of what WotC try to have us call it, I intend to continue referring to is as 5e. I suspect I won't be alone. :)

Remove ads