D&D 5E D&D Next playtest post mortem by Mike Mearls and Rodney Thompson. From seven years ago.

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
The visuals, and the art that supports the game matter.
While I understand the point you're making, may I point you in the direction of

SOLSTICE
aSxIqxO.jpg

glass

(he, him)
Saying they "during the entire time they were doing the D&D Next playtest, conducted shoddy survey" is insulting to everyone who likes what they did.
It really isn't. Saying something is poorly constructed is not an insult to people who like that thing, and discourse on the internet would be greatly improved if more people realised that. And in any case, I seriously doubt all that many people like the surveys that much to start with (unless by "what they did" you meant" 5e-as-published", in which case it was a complete non-sequitur).

There are only so many tropes, common imagery and typical "look and feel" for classes to fit. You don't expect this guy
View attachment 261419
to be a better fighter than this guy

View attachment 261418

The visuals, and the art that supports the game matter.
So, the first picture is representative of which D&D trope or art exactly?

For the sake of argument, we'll say this was a reasonable comparison to anything that actually corresponds in some way to D&D. Assuming that...he can still be a competent warrior. His player just needs to have selected an appropriate casting subclass.

These subclasses' supporting themes..
"Song and dance" and
"Extra-special magic weapon"

And use of an analytical warrior trope seems unreasonable? Or put another way..which character art suggests "dumb" as an expected character attribute?

Edit: Realized I could simplify..

What about any PHB D&D character art suggests that anyone can accurately identify mental stats for the depicted characters?

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
You may not have, but I did say "worthless". I did not say "incompetent", but it was kinda implied. And I will say it explicitly now: Whoever came up with the polls during the DDN playtest was incompetent when it came to designing playtest polls.

That is not to say they did not have competencies in other areas; just that they were lacking in this particular one.
Poll design is one of those areas where people just assume it's easy, when in fact it's very challenging.

MwaO

Adventurer
Poll design is one of those areas where people just assume it's easy, when in fact it's very challenging.

Yeah, you need to establish who is being truthful, what percentages belong to which groups, and if you're testing for something very specific, that you're actually valuing people who truly care about that specific thing over everyone else. None of which WotC did in their poll design in Next.

I'm not even sure you can tell physical stats by looking. what is the diffrnece between a 11 13 15 and 17 str look like? do you look like a body builder at any of those or like a superhero?
Sure. They're at least easier to point to directionally in a "probably strong" vs. "probably weak" kind of way (though even that could be misleading for various fantasy reasons).

But "probably smart", "probably wise", "probably charismatic"... without the external class contexts.. good luck.

Haplo781

Legend
Yeah, you need to establish who is being truthful, what percentages belong to which groups, and if you're testing for something very specific, that you're actually valuing people who truly care about that specific thing over everyone else. None of which WotC did in their poll design in Next.
They aren't interested in anything beyond "X% of players like/dislike this thing."

Remove ads