D&D 5E D&D pateau-ing?

I think we may be in the begining of the best age for TTRPGs. It is a game parents can play with their children, and it has been recently discovered by a part of the fandom who loves to write their own fanfiction. It is cosmopolitan by nature, this means the inclusivity isn't forced at all. It can drink from different cultures when this was wanted by the player themself. Hasbro is starting to fall in love with D&D because this is perfect as multimedia franchise, and enough flexible to be in a future as Fortnite, the king of (intercompany) crossovers. D&D could be the last opportunity for dying IPs what are falling into the oblivion because they have lost too much popularity, or a second oportunity for franchises deads for years or decades.

And D&D is fulling a space within the entertaiment economy because there is a serious secret crisis in the comic, videogames and Hollywood industry.

Some times I suspect 2022-3 will be the years of a new wave of Satanic panic, and this time worse than the one from 80's but D&D will not be the target, but others, and I don't mean Word of Darkness by White Wolf.

6kh47p.jpg

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
So this is yet another thread to cleverly show that 5e has somehow actually continued to climb in popularity?

If so, congratulations.

The game could have peaked in terms of sales 5 years ago and still be considered a huge success.

Now it is becoming something else. I am not sure what, but its going beyond the niche that it, and we, have occupied for all these years.

darjr

I crit!
So this is yet another thread to cleverly show that 5e has somehow actually continued to climb in popularity?

If so, congratulations.

The game could have peaked in terms of sales 5 years ago and still be considered a huge success.

Now it is becoming something else. I am not sure what, but its going beyond the niche that it, and we, have occupied for all these years.
I don’t think that was the original intent of the thread or the show it refers too.

Ondath

Hero
Some times I suspect 2022-3 will be the years of a new wave of Satanic panic, and this time worse than the one from 80's but D&D will not be the target, but others, and I don't mean Word of Darkness by White Wolf.
Who do you think the target will be? The OSR movement? Queer games like Thirsty Sword Lesbians and Monsterhearts? I think this is a curious prediction to make.

Not the TTRPG, not even World of Darkness or Kult: Divinity Lost, but other zones of the entertaiment industry, and highest spheres. I am not talking about conspirancy theories being true or false but people believe these and causing serious troubles. Let's say we are going to see more news about "rotten apples" in Hollywood and other places.

D&D is not only the board game, but also the fandom writing his own homebred worlds and fanfiction. And using a known franchise for your own retelling version is a powerful hook to attract internaut readers.

I can't talk about the potential of the virtual tabletops, but some times the next step will be a multiplayer online asymetric (dungeon crawler) game where one of the players is the DM and the other are the adventurers, something close to Resident Evil: Project Resistance, or the canceled Bioware's "Shadow Realms" or CG Games' "Breach".

If Epic Games could launch a "virtual tabletop" for Fortnite, can you imagine the potential market?

* Is possible a future satiation of D&D? Maybe, but here the answer could be to replace Forgotten Realms with other lines as Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Kara-Tur, Kamigawa: Neon Dinasty or Gamma World.

* I guess the boom of D&D is because there are more people discovering D&D can be a fabulous tool for their own creativity, and then the hobby should be for the rest of the life. Hasbro only should to worry if D&D started to be replaced with a product by the rival companies, but I doubt. Even if Paizo published the best crunch for Pathfinder 2 the fandom would keep loving the D&D franchises.

And here the metaplot is a double edged sword, because too many mistakes by the writters could cause a "jump the shark" effect.

D&D is too easy to be parodied, but here in this case may be an advantage, because the players are the first ones who enjoy laughing at themself and the ridiculous anecdotes what happen in their games. And it is a very soft humor, with low risk of accidental offenses.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
As I stated earlier, when something hits a certain level of common knowledge search requests go down.

People don't search for things they already know. They search for the topics within that thing
I'd be interested in the trends for common terms within 5e, more than how often 5e is searched.

I never type dnd or 5e or any of that into google unless my first try gets me non-dnd stuff.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Compromise never feels good does it?
Eh, most of us got over it.

Not that I even remotely agree with their characterization of the situation.
yeah I get a good laugh at the idea of "You need to grow your business" mentality...

like if you make $10 profit this year and $10 profit next year that is seen as a failur to grow... now imagine x a million (literally $10,000,000 profit 2 years in a row seen as a fail) and you ave what has been drilled into some people heads.

Heck if I made any profit at all (lets say $500) and made slightling less profit but still profit the next year (lets say $450) it is still profit
I don't so much laugh as grit my teeth in a slowly simmering rage at how screwed over people on the bottom end of these companies are constantly getting in order to serve that "constant growth quarter after quarter no matter what" mentality.
This is why I think publicly traded companies are a bad idea.
Absolutely. At least in the current form of the market, and with so much unchecked monopolization. A lot of the issue ameliorates on it's own when wealth is more evenly distributed. But then, the nature of the system trends toward stratification, so...🤷‍♂️
Given that my biggest gripe with post-Tasha's 5E was that they seemed to do a 180 in the middle of an edition's lifespan... I might not mind five-year plans for D&D, honestly.

Also the hammer and the sickle can finally get a much-needed damage buff.
The warhammer at least is pretty good. Sickle is one of those weapons that wants for special properties. Lemme grab a shield with it and give an ally advantage on their next attack against the target, or something.
That's a good point. I never make any extrapolations about my 401k from monthly, quarterly, or even yearly numbers: I always look at the ten-year and twenty-year charts in order to filter out the noise of the moment.
Oof. Yeah. Every time I go to do something or research something or whatever on my 401(k) it shoes me the daily growth. it's the worst thing possible. I just remind myself that I'm getting money back on my taxes every year for investing, and that over decades investment of large sums in index funds and other "stable" investments have proven safe bets so reliably that it'd probably take total collapse for me to not have decent retirement savings in 30 years...

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I don’t think that was the original intent of the thread or the show it refers too.
And yet a metric is proposed that now says ALL TIME HIGH. EVEN HIGHER THAN THE REALLY HIGH LEVEL IT WAS ALREADY AT.

Thats how its been. Over and over again.

Remove ads