D&D 5E D&D pateau-ing?

G

Guest 7034872

4e is about to make a comeback. I can feel it.

It’s like 4e is watching the Big Game, and any minute now the coach is going to squint into the upper deck, point, and say, “You! 4e! Suit up, we need you! Yes, you!”
2015: "Yeahhh, the Cubs will never win. It's impossible."

2016: "Huh."

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
It's a New Age, I tell you!--an exciting New Age of D&D without the social desirability bias!
I was in High School just a couple of years ago, and this very much wasn't the case in the town I grew up in. I was still mocked and called a "nerd" disparagingly by even close family members for enjoying the game. Which was ironic, because some of them were huge MCU fans.

Maybe it's that I grew up in a very conservative area, but people still considered D&D to just be for the weird geeks like me when I was in High School (2016-2020).

Yes, the game is getting more social acceptance than it was before, and quite a few more popular people in school were expressing interest in it, but D&D still is considered kind of a niche "nerdy" hobby in a lot of the world.

Hussar

Legend
I mean, sure, the growth has to stop sometime. ((Eyes the Canadian Housing market :erm: )) But, even if it stopped growing right now, who cares? We're at a point right now that has never been seen in the hobby. D&D is huge. We used to talk about D&D being the 600 pound gorilla. Now? There's more or less only the gorilla. D&D is just so much larger than anything else in the hobby right now.

So, there's a possible avenue of growth in the future. Pokemon cards are/were absolutely huge and probably THE card game. Now, there's a bunch of card games, Magic being a major player and certainly there are others.

It's entirely possible that as D&D remains fairly static in size, the hobby expands horizontally into other games. Isn't there a Marvel RPG coming out very soon? I imagine that a lot of other IP's are going to start getting into the act as the market notices just how much space for growth there is.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I was in High School just a couple of years ago, and this very much wasn't the case in the town I grew up in. I was still mocked and called a "nerd" disparagingly by even close family members for enjoying the game. Which was ironic, because some of them were huge MCU fans.

Maybe it's that I grew up in a very conservative area, but people still considered D&D to just be for the weird geeks like me when I was in High School (2016-2020).

Yes, the game is getting more social acceptance than it was before, and quite a few more popular people in school were expressing interest in it, but D&D still is considered kind of a niche "nerdy" hobby in a lot of the world.
Methinks based on what youhave said in the past that your environment was not just conservative, but probably wildly out of step with even most of Conservative 'Murika.

G

Guest 7034872

Methinks based on what youhave said in the past that your environment was not just conservative, but probably wildly out of step with even most of Conservative 'Murika.
My college campus was one of the Christian colleges in rural America. I 100% hear what you're saying, AcererakTriple6 and these things are always matters of degrees of acceptance/intolerance, but what I saw on that campus told me the times were truly a'changin'.

Remove ads