D&D 5E D&D product sales numbers on Amazon, etc.

happyhermit

Adventurer
How do Amazon count pre-orders? Are they counted as part of the sales numbers for the first day (with a likely big bump), or on the day the order was placed, or something else?

They are not counted on first day sales, they are counted as sales on the days they occur. When people plan "book bombs" to get their book into higher spots they discourage pre-orders.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Volvo's guide is #1...for fantasy gaming. 54 overall. Amazing numbers, especially given how skeptical I have been about it. :p
I think the previews generated a lot of interest, converted a lot of folks like me into believers, and turned Volo's into the most-anticipated release of 5E (since the core books, anyways). I look forward to it.

Volvo's guide is #1...for fantasy gaming. 54 overall. Amazing numbers, especially given how skeptical I have been about it. :p

View attachment 78116
And that's not taking into account the people who might be rushing to a FLGS to get the special cover.

(However, in fairness, sales are likely inflated by people getting a second copy on Amazon for the regular cover. But that's probably uncommon.)

happyhermit

Adventurer
And that's not taking into account the people who might be rushing to a FLGS to get the special cover.

(However, in fairness, sales are likely inflated by people getting a second copy on Amazon for the regular cover. But that's probably uncommon.)

I never even thought of that, there will certainly be some collectors who pick up both.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Quick update.

After a good run, Volo's is down to#5 in gaming and #773 overall.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/books/16211/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_b_1_3

PHB is back to number #1 for gaming, and #166 overall. Still respectable.

Interestingly, the MM is #3 in gaming, and #338 overall.

There is a seasonal factor here: things that are being bought as gifts will jump up the rankings. I guess not many DMs are getting Volos this Xmass.

Last edited:

JeffB

Legend
Quick update.

After a good run, Volvo's is down to#5 in gaming and #773 overall.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/books/16211/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_b_1_3

PHB is back to number #1 for gaming, and #166 overall. Still respectable.

Interestingly, the MM is #3 in gaming, and #338 overall.

There is a seasonal factor here: things that are being bought as gifts will jump up the rankings. I guess not many DMs are getting Volvos this Xmass.

Volvos are pretty expensive.

Maybe a Hyundai

Remove ads