D&D 5E D&D product sales numbers on Amazon, etc.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
True, but I got bills to pay, mouths to feed. And I am not complaining, mind, just quarterly releases is faster than I can keep up with.

I remember one funny story where a smoker was told that he could have bought a Ferrari with the money he had spent over the years to which he turns around and asks "So then where is your Ferrari then?"

RPG book costs got nothing on school text books - and they stay relevant for longer!

Awesome Adam

First Post
True, but I got bills to pay, mouths to feed. And I am not complaining, mind, just quarterly releases is faster than I can keep up with.

Never play Warhammer 40,000. You would die from sticker shock.

Joking aside. Even with quarterly releases in D&D there is no need to get them all, even as a DM.

Player grabs a PHB, and he set.
DM grabs the PHB, DMG, Mosnter Manual and needs nothing beyond that.

Sword Coast is skipable. I got excited and bought it, but I don't I've used anything from it, as a player or DM.
Volo's is a worthwhile purchase, but hardly required by any means.

All the other Campaign/Adventure books, even if you want to use them, are good for about 6 months of adventuring material each, and only the DM needs them to run them.

To be honest, with only the quarterly releases, my gaming group has been buying 3+ copies of each book as they released.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Never play Warhammer 40,000. You would die from sticker shock.

Joking aside. Even with quarterly releases in D&D there is no need to get them all, even as a DM.

Player grabs a PHB, and he set.

DM grabs the PHB, DMG, Mosnter Manual and needs nothing beyond that.

Sword Coast is skipable. I got excited and bought it, but I don't I've used anything from it, as a player or DM.

Volo's is a worthwhile purchase, but hardly required by any means.

All the other Campaign/Adventure books, even if you want to use them, are good for about 6 months of adventuring material each, and only the DM needs them to run them.

To be honest, with only the quarterly releases, my gaming group has been buying 3+ copies of each book as they released.

Sure there's no need to buy every book; but when releases were super frequent, I bought none due to analysis paralysis. Now I'm working on buying them all. WotC has increased the amount of money they get from me exponentially, and it seems I am not alone.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
If we are talking about personal purchases then the last one I got was Out of the Abyss. Nothing since has been interesting enough just rehashes of old stuff that was done better in the 80s.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see "(Character's name here)'s Guide to the Planes" in the relatively recent future - there are a huge number of planar hooks in the core three rulebooks, and as we have been told, much of what they have planned to do has been seeded in them...

I'm really hoping for this also. It would certainly cover the monster gap left by Volo's, since you could get a solid 40ish monsters out of Fiends, Rilmani, and whatnot, could include some Planar PC races and subclasses - Horizon Walker for example, Bariar, Rogue Modrons - and still have enough space to give roughly equal wordcount to the Outer Planes as the Planescape Boxed Set. After all, a good third of that boxed set's page count was the Monstrous Appendix and the Player Information section.

Sigil I suspect we might not see in such a book; instead, it might work better if used as a quest hub for an AP. Just a thought: such a quest hub could easily have forty pages given to it in the course of an adventure, like Baldur's Gate in Murder in Baldur's Gate, and still leave loads of space for trips elsewhere in the planes, dungeons, etc. Hopefully they opt to provide material that supplements, rather than replaces, that found in In the Cage and Uncaged: Faces of Sigil. Either way, I believe that this is exactly how Sigil was used in a 3e or 4e adventure, and it makes a lot of sense for the city.

The Undead that Volo's did not cover will presumably come at some point. Warlocks Crypt got a fairly significant mention in Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, so that might be something to keep an eye on?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
As part of the occasional series...

The PHB continues its post holiday rebound, currently at #54 in overall sales. Volvo's looks like it might lock up "4th core book" status, at #4 in gaming and #378 in overall sales over two months after its release, which, before 5E, would be a very high rank to sustain. This would also be very lucrative for WotC. Yawning Portal is the best selling adventure, just from pre-orders.

Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 10.22.55 AM.png

Remove ads