D&D 5E D&D product sales numbers on Amazon, etc.

I'm surprised at how high Yawning portal is, especially considering that Amazon is a bad place to pre-order, compared to a FLGS. Maybe it is also appealing to the OSR crowd as 'old school modules' given fresh art and cartography? Either way, it seems like a sign that it'll be an exceptionally popular product.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I'm surprised at how high Yawning portal is, especially considering that Amazon is a bad place to pre-order, compared to a FLGS. Maybe it is also appealing to the OSR crowd as 'old school modules' given fresh art and cartography? Either way, it seems like a sign that it'll be an exceptionally popular product.

I think it will be popular. Its retro, and build on some popular bits of D&D lore. It is also modular. (bu-da-bump).

But in terms of the FLGS, in the US at least amazon tends to be cheaper, and not everyone has a FLGS. My guess is the stores will also get lots of pre-orders as well (which reminds me...).

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Shows that people wanted some modular game aids, for sure.

happyhermit

Adventurer
PHB is @ #45 in all books @amazon.com, #15 in all books @amazon.ca, crazy or par for the course at this point, both I guess.

Something I never noticed before, not sure if it has changed or not, "Wotc D&D Team" is one of the top 100 "authors" on amazon.com (#96 ATM). That seems pretty impressive, considering how few books they have in print.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
PHB is @ #45 in all books @amazon.com, #15 in all books @amazon.ca, crazy or par for the course at this point, both I guess.

Something I never noticed before, not sure if it has changed or not, "Wotc D&D Team" is one of the top 100 "authors" on amazon.com (#96 ATM). That seems pretty impressive, considering how few books they have in print.
Yeah, there doesn't seem to be much of a slowdown nearly 3 years in...

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EN World mobile app

I think the pre-orders for Yawning Portal themselves are some valuable feedback for WotC. If the book's ratings live up to the pre-orders, the D&D team will definitely be working on making other books to scratch that itch (which might even involve adjusting their current model a bit).

But in terms of the FLGS, in the US at least amazon tends to be cheaper, and not everyone has a FLGS.

When Volo's limited edition was out, I drove 40 minutes to the only nearby game store that carries D&D, because they were one of the stores WotC would allow to distribute the limited edition of Volos. They not only did not have it, they didn't even seem knowledgeable about it, although they offered to order it for me with their next D&D order if I called back in another week or two.

I just skipped the limited edition and ordered the standard version on Amazon.

I remember back when there actually were stores that carried RPG books in my area, but technology has basically killed that off. You can usually find some place to buy Magic cards; but forget about D&D. I miss those days of wonder with shelves full of all sorts of RPG books and no ubiquitous internet shopping to distract and over-inform.

I think the pre-orders for Yawning Portal themselves are some valuable feedback for WotC. If the book's ratings live up to the pre-orders, the D&D team will definitely be working on making other books to scratch that itch (which might even involve adjusting their current model a bit).

When Volo's limited edition was out, I drove 40 minutes to the only nearby game store that carries D&D, because they were one of the stores WotC would allow to distribute the limited edition of Volos. They not only did not have it, they didn't even seem knowledgeable about it, although they offered to order it for me with their next D&D order if I called back in another week or two.

I just skipped the limited edition and ordered the standard version on Amazon.

I remember back when there actually were stores that carried RPG books in my area, but technology has basically killed that off. You can usually find some place to buy Magic cards; but forget about D&D. I miss those days of wonder with shelves full of all sorts of RPG books and no ubiquitous internet shopping to distract and over-inform.

Really? My local FLGS not only had the special edition in stock, but proudly had a stack of them on the counter ready for purchase, and the guy at the counter immediately volunteered the information, unprompted by me, that the store would be carrying all special editions in the future. I guess it all comes down to the people at the store...

fjw70

Adventurer

I am wondering why you think Amazon is a bad place to pre-order. I do it all the time. Sure some LGS get it sooner but I rarely how to my LGS so Amazon is very convenient.

Remove ads