D&D 5E D&D Promises to Make the Game More Queer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Captain America ("there's only one god"), Dom from "Fast and the Furious" (wears a cross), Julius (John Wick, very concerned about John going after the Pope), anyone whose funeral or wedding is held at a church ...

Daredevil in the Netflix series is more blatant, but you did say movies.

Not exactly a huge saturation of monotheists, is it? One character that I recognize and two I've never heard of, only one of which meets the criteria.

Sounds like some diversity is needed...

Xeviat

Hero
I'll settle for a character who identifies or shows signs of identifying as an adherent of any monotheistic religion: Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Deism, Bahai, Yazidism, Zoroastrianism, whatever. If you can even spot a character who kisses a menorah or wears a crucifix or goes to church, I'll settle for that too. Just any of the things that millions of Americans do on a regular basis, and Hollywood moviemakers apparently never do.

Examples above off the top of my head. But, you do realize that you're referencing what is generally part of the assumption of a character until stated otherwise, right? Considering references to God as a singular being are ripe in American English.

tombowings

First Post
If it makes sense and furthers the story, sure, let's include some homosexuality. Loras Tyrell is a fantastic example - the son of a prominent figure whose homosexuality threatens his family's reputation and must be exposed/kept secret. Interesting, meaningful, and not only included for the sake of being politically correct. But if we're going to throw in a couple of lesbians in order to be trendy and "inclusive" *barf*, I think I'll pass.

Examples above off the top of my head. But, you do realize that you're referencing what is generally part of the assumption of a character until stated otherwise, right? Considering references to God as a singular being are ripe in American English.

You can't be serious about monotheism being a default assumption for characters in the media. At best, characters are assumed to be wistfully agnostic, occasionally "spiritual but not religious." If Avengers III has a scene of Iron Man getting a phone call in church telling him to suit up and get on the job, everyone will find that jarring because it's never been established or even hinted ANYWHERE that Tony Stark would even go to church in the first place. Furthermore, can you imagine the uproar if it Bruce Banner, Hawkeye, and Black Widow were all with him at church? You couldn't just say, "Of course they're all Christians. It's the default assumption until stated otherwise, right?" because everyone knows the opposite is true in modern media.

MechaPilot

Explorer
The article doesn't mention Urgala Meltimer from Storm King's Thunder, which is who I was thinking of. Urgala "is a retired adventurer who bought the inn from the Phorndyl family a little over a year ago, after her wife (a wizard) vanished in the Underdark on an expedition" (p. 56).

From The Article said:
Take the Triboar native and retired adventurer Urgala Meltimer, whose wizard wife never returned from the Underdark, whom Crawford says may appear again at a later date so players can solve the mystery of her disappearance.

Xeviat

Hero
You can't be serious about monotheism being a default assumption for characters in the media. At best, characters are assumed to be wistfully agnostic, occasionally "spiritual but not religious." If Avengers III has a scene of Iron Man getting a phone call in church telling him to suit up and get on the job, everyone will find that jarring because it's never been established or even hinted ANYWHERE that Tony Stark would even go to church in the first place. Furthermore, can you imagine the uproar if it Bruce Banner, Hawkeye, and Black Widow were all with him at church? You couldn't just say, "Of course they're all Christians. It's the default assumption until stated otherwise, right?" because everyone knows the opposite is true in modern media.

So the three examples from recent movies I stated wasn't enough? The movies I mentioned didn't have any gay characters besides "XXX: The Return of Xander Cage".

tombowings

First Post
It is hardly a surprise that a Designer would want to push his own agenda in his products.

Agendas have a place: debate. Including one's agenda in media is little more than propaganda, which I see as an illegitimate form argument (although many would disagree). What we need is to reclaim the battle of ideas from the battle of emotions that has flooded our society. Inclusion of anything for the sake of being politically correct comes off as corny at best and is more likely to be crass than anything else.

Personally, I would prefer if my D&D wasn't transformed into a podium.

Xeviat

Hero
I will admit, there are less obvious examples now than there were in the past. But, you are coming into a thread about D&D welcoming queer characters and saying "but what about the Christians (and others)". You do realize you're doing the same thing as many others when responding to the concerns of minorities ... right?

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Agendas have a place: debate. Including one's agenda in media is little more than propaganda, which I see as an illegitimate form argument (although many would disagree). What we need is to reclaim the battle of ideas from the battle of emotions that has flooded our society. Inclusion of anything for the sake of being politically correct comes off as corny at best and is more likely to be crass than anything else.

Personally, I would prefer if my D&D wasn't transformed into a podium.

I dont know, is a gay guy putting gay characters in his products trying to be politically correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads