• Half-Elf

Votes: 48 14.5%
  • Half-Orc

Votes: 70 21.2%
  • Halfing

Votes: 33 10.0%
  • Human

Votes: 11 3.3%
  • Where are the Illumians, Maenads, and Shifters?

Votes: 36 10.9%

• Poll closed .

Gee, should I play a human or an elf? I just can't decide! Ooh, I know! I'll play a human with infravision. I want to play with the human versatility and elf superpoweredness, and have no restrictions. Take out that whole commoners-hate-half-breeds thing! I want to play a half-elf fighter/mage/thief! (unless you'll let me play a half-drow fighter/mage/priest/thief?!)

I actually don't have a problem with any particular race, but if I had to drop one, it would be the half-elf. I feel like gnome, halflings, elves, half-orcs, and dwarves all fill cool, distinct niches. If you want to play "different," or "versatile," play human.

I started with AD&D 2nd edition and I've just seen too many players choose half-elf for what are, to me, the cheesiest reasons. I like sub-optimal builds. I think that they're more interesting. I also like narrow archetypes to follow or to flout. I don't like wishy-washy half-measures, and when the mood stirkes me, that's what I feel the half-elf is. [/RANT]

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Crothian said:
well, its an honest answer..... :cool:

I was gonna do just PH... But then thought about the new Races of * races, and Eberron, and elven subraces, and .... Maybe if people aren't looking for my blood by the time we do skill survivor, I'll do Expanded Race Survivor.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
The gnome hate has got to go! Save the gnome!

I voted half-orc, because they're dumb bruisers mechanically and I've only seen one played who didn't fit into that stereotype. And I'm not a big fan of dumb bruisers. And anyway, why play a half-orc when you can go full?

Demiurge out.

The Shaman

First Post
Dirigible said:
Elves must be punched. In order to facilitate this, I suggest we nail their feet to a conveyor belt and arrange a line of orcs with spiked gauntlets at elf-crotch height.
:)

But first we get rid of their silly half-breeds.

What do you call 50,000 half-elves at the bottom of the ocean? A good start. :p

the Lorax

First Post
Particle_Man said:
The half-elf has almost no niche at all. You really have to stretch to find something the half-elf can do that you can't do better with either an elf or a human. The 2 +2 "Face" skill bonuses don't save it. Off it goes.

Seconded! <with gusto>

I just had the exact same discussion with someone from my group last night. Timely topic for me.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases