• Half-Elf

Votes: 48 14.5%
  • Half-Orc

Votes: 70 21.2%
  • Halfing

Votes: 33 10.0%
  • Human

Votes: 11 3.3%
  • Where are the Illumians, Maenads, and Shifters?

Votes: 36 10.9%

• Poll closed .

jrients

First Post
I voted for gnomes. I hate elves, but I'd rather see a race that I hated win when another option is gnomes, which cause no visceral reaction in me whatsoever. The things some folks are saying about half-elves and half-orcs are making me weep man. Those races are so chockful of roleplaying verve that I don't mind them being mechanically suboptimal.

KB9JMQ

First Post
Gnomes - Get outta my game and back into the garden ;)

Actually I voted them off for the sole reason I like them least of all the other choices.
I have reason to dislike them, I just like the others more.
Elves barely though.

snarfoogle

First Post
I voted for Half-Orcs for their in game weakness, but I'm sure gnomes will be the next to go. I have seen about one gnome character played in all my gaming experience.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
The core races ain't bad, flavor-wise. Some of them have highly questionable mechanical merit.

I want to see the other ECL 0 races; some of them suck mechanically and conceptually.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Gez said:
Me, I like gnomes. They're the yodas of my setting. Physically weak, but mentally strong, wise and skilled in magic. And while they can behave in a silly fashion, it's an act to hide the true extent of their power and wisdom from strangers. (Again, see Yoda when Luke first meet him. Really a silly little creature.)

And you fall into the category of reinventing them again.

While I did vote them off... I'm liking your take on them.

Psion

Adventurer
Elves.

Not because I don't like elves or I am sick of them... but because the 3.x elf doesn't really do a good job capturing the elf. Their favored class is wizard (whether it should be sorcerer or ranger is debatable, I'm fine with any of the above), but they aren't even GOOD wizards. They do not have int bonus (unless you dip into grey and sun elves), and a poor con is not good for a class with only d4 HD. Halflings make better wizards!

Maybe it's the old school holdout in me, but I think elves should be good wizards. As written, they make better clerics. Think about it, what is the one thing that the otherwise overpowered clerics lack? A good selection of weapons. Being an elf gives them a decent melee weapon and a missile weapon.

Remove ads