D&D 5E D&D Sage Advice 2.6 Update

WotC has released the latest update to its Sage Advice document. "This update aligns these books with content appearing in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, arriving November 17, 2020 in North America and December 1 in EU and APAC."

sage.jpg

It also includes errata for Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, and Eberron: Rising from the Last War. "Some of the changes in these errata files bring elements of those two books in line with content in Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything".

Last edited by a moderator:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The scag cantrips (booming blade/gfb) are still really quite bad once you crunch the numbers. Yes they can be used with strength or dex rather than int/wis/cha, but a character with the strength/dex to effectively use them likely has at least two attacks & can use one of the many d8 or better weapons. Unlike booing blade & gfb though, using a weapon as a weapon will give +ability mod to each attack in addition to any weapon mods. Lets be honest & admit we are probably talking about an EK who gets a full 2/3/4 weapon attacks so even a +nothing 1d8 weapon with 20 strength or 20 dex is going to be 1d8+5 1x 2x 3x or 4x/round for an average of 9.5/19/28.5/38 vrs booming blade's 14/23.5/33/42.5 if there is a 100% hit chance. As soon as the hit chance drops below 100% the scag cantrip user uses 100% of their damage that round each miss while the attack chain user level 5 & up loses 1/2 1/3 & 1/4 respectively. A magic weapon with +1or anything else multiplies that by the number of attacks yet only ever works once for the scag cantrip user. Then to make an already questionable miniscule white room edge the rest of 5e makes sure to be sure of it with
Rogue's are some of the primary users of the SCAG cantrips. And that's OK. You can make cantrips for rogues, given one of their most popular subclasses do cast cantrips.

Last edited:

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I like the blade cantrips quite a lot.

they are good for clerics who can get them.

they are good for warlocks who don’t merely eldritch blast or who don’t use invocations on eldritch blast

they are good for eldritch knights for a number of levels.

they can be good for a melee sorcerer who quickens them. That’s fun.

the list goes on with fun options. If you do not like them, that’s fine but with so many uses, I would not toss them out merely because they are not superior to other options. The point is that the blade cantrips are options.

my arcana cleric thinks pretty highly of them and gfb is very good vs two opponents for clerics and other single attack characters.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
What's the stealth errata?
People were claiming that the changes to Green Flame Blade and Booming Blade, from the DnDBeyond preview where you could read part of the spell description and it had changed, were stealth errata. There was a big hubbub about how Wizards does this all the time (hint: nto with 5e) and how bad they were for doing it (hint: these errata updates showed they didn't do it).

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
It feels like it puts it more in line with other burst powers like Barbarian rage.
Yes but because the context is different, the end result differs a lot even if the uses per day is in line between rages and the new bladesinging.

Barbarian is a sturdy chassis, gets the most HPs per level, and has a decent (if not top notch) AC even when not raging. It still can do it's primary focus.

Bladesingers are based on a fragile chassis with the least HPs per level, and going from no armor, no shield to light armor, no shield isn't a big AC boost. At low levels when lots of things like Shield aren't plentiful, they can't really fulfill the role of melee combatant when not Bladesinging.

Eric V

Hero
People were claiming that the changes to Green Flame Blade and Booming Blade, from the DnDBeyond preview where you could read part of the spell description and it had changed, were stealth errata. There was a big hubbub about how Wizards does this all the time (hint: nto with 5e) and how bad they were for doing it (hint: these errata updates showed they didn't do it).
Whoops! I thought you meant they issued errata to the stealth rules (such as they are)! :S

G

Guest User

As a said in another thread: the Wall gets censored (for lack of a better word) out of SCAG, presumably to avoid hurting somebody's feelings,

Whatever, WotC deciding to withhold lore details in a book doesn't change anything, anyway. The lore stays the same. Wasted opportunity on WotC's part to expand the Wall's lore and make it better, more interesting and developed. Instead, they swept it under the rug, hoping "the new generations" of D&D players and DM won't be interested enough in the lore to find out about it.
I have been playing D&D since 1980. My memory may be hazy, but the Grey Box Forgotten released in 1987 made no mention of the Wall.

The Wall was added as a concept by the god awful books...The Time of Troubles.
Personally, I was disgusted by the notion that some 3 part fantasy series of dubious quality should automatically make changes to any and all Forgotten Realms campaigns.

I have never acknowledged any aspect of The Time of Troubles in any game that I have played in, and never will. New Generations of players should absolutely learn about the TSR period where fiction book sales dictated game design and mechanics, and reject the whole period.

Also, in Russian History, there is a period referred to as the Time of Troubles, it is when the Romanov family ascended to be Emperor.

D&D designers are typically ignorant Americans..(so am I😍🇺🇸)
so the plagiarism of the name given to actual historical events in the aforementioned FR series might have been completely unintentional. Perhaps the designers in the TSR era were unaware of the usage of the term the Troubles, to refer to a period of North Ireland history.
In a modern American context if you refer to a fictional "The Wall", people think you are talking about Game of Thrones.

Losing The Wall from the Forgotten Realms, is like removing grime from a Masterpiece painting, it is restorative.

Last edited by a moderator:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Not really. By not mentioning it this just means that in absence of new lore the old lore is still valid. So all it does is preventing someone from stumbling upon it without actually deeper diving into FR afterlive lore
Arguable, considering the remaining text. It describes what happens to the dead.
It makes it range Self, which does some odd things for use with Warcaster and other effects.

Also, a range of self that attacks a target... which I find odd.
It makes sense, the range is a 5’ radius centered on you. The target is a creature within range. It’s oddly worded to avoid...idk honestly why they wanted to avoid the synergies this gets rid of.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
There are three cases I can think of where the cantrips are clearly useful:
1. Bladesinger replacing one attack with a cantrip. Not sure how it compares to shocking grasp, but clearly better than just an attack.
2. A rogue who wouldn't use two weapon fighting anyway and who picks up the cantrip some way. Arcane trickster maybe (or multiclass/magic initiate)?
3. A warlock with pact of the blade who prefers to use invocations for other things than thirsting blade.

I think the cantrips are situationally better than a normal attack for Eldritch knights as well. However, I can't be bothered to open the spreadsheet I made to check it.
Yeah IMO trying to get extra attack on a Bladelock is a waste of an invocation, unless you’re trying to have more versatility and utility via cantrips (and thus don’t want booming blade or GFB).

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases