D&D Still Leads ICv2's Quarterly Hobby Game Rankings

ICv2 has just released its hobby game rankings for Spring 2015, based as always on a survey of retailers, distributors, and manufacturers. The top three positions are exactly the same as the previous Fall/Holiday 2014 positions - D&D followed by Pathfinder, followed by FFG's Star Wars line of products. Following that, Numenera and Fate have been displaced by Shadowrun and Iron Kingdoms (the latter presumably based on Privateer Press' recent, highly promoted Iron Kingdoms Unleashed boxed set). As always, I've added this latest ranking to my compiled chart.

ICv2 has just released its hobby game rankings for Spring 2015, based as always on a survey of retailers, distributors, and manufacturers. The top three positions are exactly the same as the previous Fall/Holiday 2014 positions - D&D followed by Pathfinder, followed by FFG's Star Wars line of products. Following that, Numenera and Fate have been displaced by Shadowrun and Iron Kingdoms (the latter presumably based on Privateer Press' recent, highly promoted Iron Kingdoms Unleashed boxed set). As always, I've added this latest ranking to my compiled chart.

Top 5 RPGs Spring 2015

1Dungeons & Dragons
Wizards of the Coast
2Pathfinder
Paizo Publishing
3Star Wars
Fantasy Flight Games
4Shadowrun
Catalyst Game Labs
5Iron Kingdoms
Privateer Press
You can find the report here on ICv2. It pretty much matches the Orr Group's Q2 usage data, and Fantasy Grounds' Q1-2 2015 report as well as EN World's own Hot Games Chart.

Interestingly, ICv2 is also reporting that the hobby games market size has grown to $880 million. In 2013, they reported the market size as $700 million. That's divided as follows:

Market size 2013-2015 ($ millions)
Category 2013 2015
Collectible games $450 $550
Miniatures $125 $125
Boardgames $75 $125
Card & dice games $35 $55
Roleplaying games $15 $25
Total $700 $880

RPGs have grown from $15 to $25 million in the last two years, which is an enormous increase. ICv2 reports it as the fastest growing segment, while miniatures are the lowest growing with fairly flat sales over the period. Boardgames, also, have a very notable increase.

chart_enworld_rpgs.jpg

The top three look pretty much set in stone now, although Paizo will need to keep diversifying their range methinks to keep up their status into the future. No real surprises for Shadowrun, either and Iron Kingdoms is undoubtedly popular even though it does not get around my circles much. I do think that the PDF/POD market that the old White Wolf/The Onyx Path isn’t reflected or recorded at all on this chart however, and it is substantial I feel. I’d imagine that, if there was some way of monitoring their sales they’d probably still be in the top five somewhere too.

Also, what actually constitutes a “collectable game"?

Hussar

Legend
The top three look pretty much set in stone now, although Paizo will need to keep diversifying their range methinks to keep up their status into the future. No real surprises for Shadowrun, either and Iron Kingdoms is undoubtedly popular even though it does not get around my circles much. I do think that the PDF/POD market that the old White Wolf/The Onyx Path isn’t reflected or recorded at all on this chart however, and it is substantial I feel. I’d imagine that, if there was some way of monitoring their sales they’d probably still be in the top five somewhere too.

I imagine that would be things like Magic. Considering the size, what else could it be?

Yes, I know they do break out "card games" but, I imagine that would be non-collectable ones.

ggroy

First Post
What I wonder, as to the selling of pathfinder, is the impact of the subscriptions they have running for most of their lines (adventure path, the setting etc). I know I am subscribed to two of them, but I don't play pathfinder (mostly because my group is not too keen to get back to 3.5 and nowadays prefer 5th edition). I personnaly use the subscription for ideas for my campaigns and adapt to 5th edition or 13th age what I find interesting... I know i wouldn't probably be buying thoses books if d&d 5th edition was releasing more products... I wonder how many people are in the same case as me or if I am an isolated case...

I use to do this too, but back in the early days of 4E D&D.

At the time circa mid-late 2008 -> 2009, I thought the 4E modules and settings books were rather lackluster. So I ended up using Pathfinder stuff and adapted it to my then 4E games.

(I haven't purchased any Pathfinder books since, nor any 5E books yet).

Last edited by a moderator:

jodyjohnson

Adventurer

Collectable is the key word whether cards, dice, or miniature. WizKids Heroclix is #4. Dice Masters #5.

Neither Pathfinder minis nor Icons of the Realms makes the cut.

Magic: The Gathering
Wizards of the Coast
Pokemon TCG
Pokemon USA
Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG
Konami Digital Entertainment
Marvel and DC HeroClix
WizKids/NECA
Marvel Dice Masters
WizKids
Force of Will
Force of Will
Legend of the Five Rings
Alderac Entertainment Group
Cardfight!! Vanguard
Bushiroad
Weiss Schwarz
Bushiroad
Future Card Buddyfight
Bushiroad

Icon_Charlie

First Post
Since I already had the info on this before this posting I would like to point out that the miniatures market has flattened out in revenue and also state as before how small the Rpg market really is.

Remove ads

Remove ads