D&D 5E D&D Summer Hardcover Amazon Placeholder

There's a D&D product placeholder for the summer hardcover up on Amazon. It doesn't say much, but confirms the release date as August 16th. There's some product dimensions there, too -- they match a standard D&D hardcover (except for the 2-inch thickness!) -- and an ISBN (978-0786968169). [Update -- the US version of the placeholder has a price of $69.99.] We'll find out more on Thursday...

There's a D&D product placeholder for the summer hardcover up on Amazon. It doesn't say much, but confirms the release date as August 16th. There's some product dimensions there, too -- they match a standard D&D hardcover (except for the 2-inch thickness!) -- and an ISBN (978-0786968169).

[Update -- the US version of the placeholder has a price of $69.99.]

We'll find out more on Thursday when the D&D Direct video is released. Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse is on May 17th, and Journeys Through the Radiant Citadel comes out on June 21st.

From previous statements from WotC, we're expecting two classic settings to come back this year, and these will be in a new print format. WotC's Ray Winninger said in June last year that "Each of these products is pursuing a different format you've never seen before. And neither is "digital only;" these are new print formats." Current speculation, based on hints and teasers, is mainly centered around Spelljammer and Dragonlance.

dnd_unknown.jpg

I don't see any reason to think it will happen this year, but neither do I see any reason it won't. The big question is, what are the project leads other than Perkins and Schneider up to...?
Reason? As @Urriak Uruk points out, balance of content type. It's bad business to put out all settings and no adventures. I've no doubt the other project leads are working on adventures. My double book theory suggests those adventures go with the settings - one for Spelljammer (all new) and one for Dragonlance (War of the Lance Redux). But it could just as well be something so far unhinted at. But what is clear, it makes a lot more business sense for any 2022 release so far unhinted at to be an adventure rather than yet another setting.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Reason? As @Urriak Uruk points out, balance of content type. It's bad business to put out all settings and no adventures. I've no doubt the other project leads are working on adventures. My double book theory suggests those adventures go with the settings - one for Spelljammer (all new) and one for Dragonlance (War of the Lance Redux). But it could just as well be something so far unhinted at. But what is clear, it makes a lot more business sense for any 2022 release so far unhinted at to be an adventure rather than yet another setting.
Well, on the other hand, we already have two Adventure books this year, which is the most Adventure hardcovers that WotC has put out in the duration of 5E.

If they put out three Settings or three Adventures, that would be an unprecedented escalation either way.

They may well do both.

kapars

Adventurer
Note that there’s a new copy for sale. It’s someone having a laugh.

The .ca store doesn’t list a price yet.
With an Amazon Pre-Order price guarantee?

I checked against Volo’s and it doesn’t list a Buy New option similar to how Volo’s does for me, only pre-order.

Edit: I double checked that 1 New on Desktop and it says Ships from and Sold by Amazon.

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
With an Amazon Pre-Order price guarantee?

I checked against Volo’s and it doesn’t list a Buy New option similar to how Volo’s does for me, only pre-order.

Edit: I double checked that 1 New on Desktop and it says Ships from and Sold by Amazon.
Looking at Radiant Citadel it’s similar. So wow, looks like $70 is the MSRP on this one. It better be huge and amazing.

But it’s odd because all their previous hardbacks have retailed with a $X.95 price point, but this one’s $69.99.

Dungeons & Dragons Release (Summer TBA) Dungeons & Dragons Release (Summer TBA): Wizards RPG Team: 9780786968169: Amazon.com: Books

US version of placeholder has $70 price tag. Winninger said $50 was wrong for starter set so either placeholder price or not the Starter Set?
That might fit with the double book idea: 2x$35. Starter sets are usually priced low as a loss leader.

Is it significant that Lost Mines is available free on R20 at the moment? does it mean the original starter set is being retired?

kapars

Adventurer
That might fit with the double book idea: 2x$35. Starter sets are usually priced low as a loss leader.

Is it significant that Lost Mines is available free on R20 at the moment? does it mean the original starter set is being retired?
It has also been discounted on Target for a few weeks now and they love those boxes. I suspect it is being retired soon.

Remove ads

Remove ads