D&D (2024) D&D Survey Results and The Future of Playtest | Unearthed Arcana

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
From the video as far as I remember the issue with Ardlings was that they made the approval numbers but the associated comments were generally "Meh!".
No, that was the jump action. The issue with Ardlings from what Jeremy said was context. Which I took for a diplomatic way of expressing that people didn’t want them in the PHB more so than that people didn’t want them at all.

I get the impression that someone on the design team is very attached to the specific combination of animal-features and celestial origin, but there was a significant amount of feedback indicating that said combination doesn’t resonate with some folks, and they would rather try to bring back the Ardling in some later supplement where that specific combination won’t feel out-of-place, rather than decoupling the beastfolk identity from the celestial origin to make it fit in the PHB.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
No, that was the jump action. The issue with Ardlings from what Jeremy said was context. Which I took for a diplomatic way of expressing that people didn’t want them in the PHB more so than that people didn’t want them at all.

I get the impression that someone on the design team is very attached to the specific combination of animal-features and celestial origin, but there was a significant amount of feedback indicating that said combination doesn’t resonate with some folks, and they would rather try to bring back the Ardling in some later supplement where that specific combination won’t feel out-of-place, rather than decoupling the beastfolk identity from the celestial origin to make it fit in the PHB.
You are correct, my bad.

My opinion is ardlings will be one of the new species, and they will be wellcome by the fandom. I suspect the original intention was a kid-friendly creature to sell toys, and a wink for the furry fandom community. The celestial touch is because WotC needs to sell something original and different, and lots of 3PPs have created their own antropomorphic animal PCs, and even some setting based in this.

My opinion is ardlings will be one of the new species, and they will be wellcome by the fandom. I suspect the original intention was a kid-friendly creature to sell toys, and a wink for the furry fandom community. The celestial touch is because WotC needs to sell something original and different, and lots of 3PPs have created their own antropomorphic animal PCs, and even some setting based in this.

They said the Ardling won't be in the PHB.

Remove ads