• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&DN going down the wrong path for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
@Nemesis Destiny , agreed. My feeling is we just stood up for what we liked and wanted. I don't understand the need some people feel to constantly belittle what I like. They have to work up theories about how nobody much really bought it, everyone hates it, blah blah blah. Its all ridiculous and at best rather mean-spirited.

Guys, just... don't feed the trolls. From where I'm sitting, there is nothing to be gained in turning a D&D5 thread into a D&D4 bashfest unless it is first hijacked by D&D4 fans defending their honor. From what I can tell, we're criticizing /everything/, mostly D&D5 itself, and yeah, quite a bit of it is unconstructive. This is the Internet.

Pour

First Post
So when I say the following, I do it with the utmost respect:

Maybe the D&D4 community needs to acknowledge that unwelcome things are going to be said about D&D4 in D&D5 threads, specifically because D&D5 is supposed to improve on D&D4, no matter how anyone felt about it. Maybe the D&D4 community needs to let it go.

I enjoyed D&D4. But if I am going to talk about what D&D5 needs, I am going to make negative comparisons with D&D4. And I do not need my thread hijacked every time I do that. It is counter productive.....

Guys, just... don't feed the trolls. From where I'm sitting, there is nothing to be gained in turning a D&D5 thread into a D&D4 bashfest unless it is first hijacked by D&D4 fans defending their honor. From what I can tell, we're criticizing /everything/, mostly D&D5 itself, and yeah, quite a bit of it is unconstructive. This is the Internet.

These are the nicest "shut up, guys" I've heard in this forum. Have you considered politics?

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer

Yeah, I had a feeling that the "other" thread was being intentionally derailed, I even said as much, but trust me, the h4ters know how to work the system around here, they know just how much they can get away with. They don't go in swinging, they like to goad, or make it look like innocent inquiry so they can play it off as such.

I've seen it happen time and again. I guess the alternative is just to ignore "innocent" questions (which makes us seem either rude or unable) and sit back and watch as our ideas and preferences are bashed repeatedly (which just feels bad).

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
These are the nicest "shut up, guys" I've heard in this forum. Have you considered politics?

Man, I am just trying to do what's best for everyone. When these threads go down, /no one/ gets listened to, no matter what edition they like.

Yeah, I had a feeling that the "other" thread was being intentionally derailed, I even said as much, but trust me, the h4ters know how to work the system around here, they know just how much they can get away with. They don't go in swinging, they like to goad, or make it look like innocent inquiry so they can play it off as such.

I've seen it happen time and again. I guess the alternative is just to ignore "innocent" questions (which makes us seem either rude or unable) and sit back and watch as our ideas and preferences are bashed repeatedly (which just feels bad).

Like I said, I am not a troll, and I /know/ I can't discuss D&D5 intelligently without making potentially inflammatory statements about D&D4. So yeah, the trolls are going to have a goddamn field day. There's not much anyone can do about that other than not engage the little b***hes. If it makes you look rude, so be it -- in my experience, though, the threads on this site move so fast that no one could possibly fault you for missing a post or two.

I hate asking the D&D4 community for this, because you're right -- it's not your fault, and it's not fair. But I think we all know that asking the trolls not to bait you is not going to work. If the chain is going to be broken, it's going to be broken with you guys.

And just to be clear, I'm not asking you to stay out of the discussion. That would be self-defeating for me, because I would hate to see a D&D5 without the best elements of D&D4. We all just need to remember to keep our posts focused on D&D5. If everyone does that, it should be easy to frame both criticism and defense of D&D4 concepts appropriately.

Obryn

Hero
I hate asking the D&D4 community for this, because you're right -- it's not your fault, and it's not fair. But I think we all know that asking the trolls not to bait you is not going to work. If the chain is going to be broken, it's going to be broken with you guys.
No.

That's pretty much backwards. Ignoring it condones it. If what you're saying is, "these dudes are being dicks," then the proper way to address it is, "hey, stop being dicks."

-O

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
No.

That's pretty much backwards. Ignoring it condones it. If what you're saying is, "these dudes are being dicks," then the proper way to address it is, "hey, stop being dicks."

-O

I'm not sure where you learned to Internet, but where I come from, "don't feed the trolls" is rule #2, right after "don't be a troll."

Trolls don't care what you think, because you don't have any power to enforce consequences.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
No.

-O

OK, then. How about you guys stop being dicks and stop trolling the "h4ters". You're clearly not being innocents of edition warring and board etiquette violations here since you're digging at the people, the critics, and not the games or ideas.

It's kind of hard to see a credible high road you're taking here.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
OK, then. How about you guys stop being dicks and stop trolling the "h4ters". You're clearly not being innocents of edition warring and board etiquette violations here since you're digging at the people, the critics, and not the games or ideas.

It's kind of hard to see a credible high road you're taking here.

We passed that point a couple times recently and no moderation to be had; just rude and insulting thread-crap side-swipes. Why even report this stuff if nothing gets done about it?

Obryn

Hero
I'm not sure where you learned to Internet, but where I come from, "don't feed the trolls" is rule #2, right after "don't be a troll."

Trolls don't care what you think, because you don't have any power to enforce consequences.
Ideally, either moderation handles the trolls or community action does. The former isn't happening, and the latter is where that invisible line gets crossed.

You're picking one bad behavior and elevating it over another. I understand that's better for calm. When only one opinion gets presented without any disagreement, that tends to happen.

"You guys"? I have "guys"? When did that happen?

I'm just me, I'm not part of some collective hive mind. I know all us people who like 4e may look the same to you, but I'm really just me. And I'm pretty darn sure I didn't start it.

-O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads