D&D 5E D&DN going down the wrong path for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemerton

Legend
running some 1ed adventures such as "To Fnd a King" or something I think.
Hopefully something else - that's not such a good module!

I think 2e was very nicely written
I just recently got a 2nd ed PHB (a friend was cleaning out his shelves). It's pretty clear in its writing, but makes some strong assumptions about play which I'm not sure I like - the GM is seen as a complication-injector, but there isn't much talk about how the players are meant to get out of those complications, and the action resolution mechanics seem pretty orthogonal to the sorts of complications the book talks about.

Stating that it is inflexible because the advice says so does not make it any less so.
Agreed. And the reverse, too - the fact that WotC says D&Dnext will be flexibile doesn't make it so. The design, not the self-description, is key.

As cool as a weapom vs armor table is, it id just too fiddly.
I believe making use of s/p/b and resistance or DR will produce good enough results. And usually let the armor have a property that makes some hits less lethal.

Full plate coul have resistance vs slashing. Bludgeoning and piercing would get through. Maybe some weapons would be a bit off, but this is the price you pay for simplicity.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
A comment and a question. I think that AD&D 2nd ed looked pretty clunky for its time - a legacy PC build and action resolution system which lacked the richness of a game like RQ or Rolemaster but didn't seem to put anything great in its place. (I accept that's a bit of a controversial judgement!)

As others have mentioned, I think AD&D's primary purpose was an "updating" or "cleaning" of the 1e ruleset. The rest of it was, I think, secondary. I never had a chance to talk to any relevant designers about that, so that's just high-grade speculation on my part.

What about Vampire etc - I only ever played one session, and never really got a feel for its mechanics - mechanically was it in any significant way an advance on 2nd ed?

I played two Storyteller games, one actually ran for a decent length of time. AFAICT, there wasn't anything astounding in its gameplay (a different die mechanic, and a different way to organize abilities). If things started going the wrong way, the GM was still required to swoop in with a big "story override" button. Which truly ticked me off in one of the games, the GM had to basically ignore the ability ("presence"?), which I had maxed out, so that her mouthpiece NPCs could reveal and initiate the plot in the way she wanted.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I played two Storyteller games, one actually ran for a decent length of time. AFAICT, there wasn't anything astounding in its gameplay (a different die mechanic, and a different way to organize abilities). If things started going the wrong way, the GM was still required to swoop in with a big "story override" button. Which truly ticked me off in one of the games, the GM had to basically ignore the ability ("presence"?), which I had maxed out, so that her mouthpiece NPCs could reveal and initiate the plot in the way she wanted.

Sounds about right. My early experiences with The oWoD were highly instructive. They taught me exactly what I didn't want out of tabletop play. Vampire went out of its way to advocate illusionist play and heavy use of GM force. Luckily the actual rules were mostly process sim, but the setting was also tailor made for destructive play. Congratulations, you've been embraced. Now its time to work your way up the vampire corporate ladder. Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

That being said I quite enjoy Requiem, mostly because it features more intrigue, less corporate cronyism, and represented a shift into a more dynamic and monstrous view of vampires. In the community this was widely viewed as a bad thing. There was also movement away from illusion and towards player agency. In some circles this was also viewed as a bad thing.

delericho

Legend
Does anyone know who this mystery person is? I'd like to steer clear of him/her in the future.

I could take an educated guess, but it wouldn't be fair to speculate in that manner. One thing to note, though, is that if it is the person I suspect, then he's also done more than a little good work in the past - and so it's entirely possible that he could in the future also.

I don't know what chart you use, but here's the AD&D chart.

scan0005.jpg

At worst, a longsword is 5 behind the best weapon (lance) and a two handed sword is outright better than just about anything at any armor class. And, other than a few polearms, which are almost never magical anyway, a longsword is still the out and out best choice. I notice you talk about full plate, which means I'm using the Unearthed Arcana. I'll take double specs in longsword vs pretty much any other weapon choice out there.

I mean, you mention using a spear (-2 vs full plate) which is exactly the same as a longsword. In a couple of cases, a mace might be better, but, overall? Not so much. And, of course, the fact that almost all magic weapons and certainly the best ones are swords, it's not really a shock that everyone uses swords.

Yeah, I don't recall swords (specifically the longsword, which is the one that you always find magical versions of) being terribly disadvantaged. A mace with a +1 vs plate mail compared to a longsword at -2 is a decent difference, but typically the nastier monsters are large, and doing 2x more damage makes up for a LOT.

There are also incredibly few monsters that would classify as wearing plate mail anyway. The vast majority of things my FIGHTER will worry about aren't in that category, and the few that are would be large creatures and again the sword is just vastly better against large creatures due to its much higher damage. Couple that with a better enchantment on the sword, and yeah Weapon vs AC is going to have marginal impact on people's weapon choices IMHO.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I have to say the weapon vs armor type tables were pretty cool. They gave you positive reasons to use certain weapons that otherwise get fairly dominated by others. That's a nuance of weapon choice lost in every version since. I mean look - the other stats on hammers kind of sucked, but their ability to damage someone wearing armor is pretty much unhindered no matter what the guy is wearing.

That said, the detail of the tables did make them cumbersome to use consistently particularly when everyone shifted to mathematic methods of calculating what AC a character hit (THAC0 and BAB). If was a nice idea, too fiddly to deal with in a typical tabletop game.

NewJeffCT

First Post
I have to say the weapon vs armor type tables were pretty cool. They gave you positive reasons to use certain weapons that otherwise get fairly dominated by others. That's a nuance of weapon choice lost in every version since. I mean look - the other stats on hammers kind of sucked, but their ability to damage someone wearing armor is pretty much unhindered no matter what the guy is wearing.

That said, the detail of the tables did make them cumbersome to use consistently particularly when everyone shifted to mathematic methods of calculating what AC a character hit (THAC0 and BAB). If was a nice idea, too fiddly to deal with in a typical tabletop game.

It was interesting to look at and discuss, but I even emailed a few friends that were long-time gamers and they don't remember using weapons vs AC tables in 1E, either. I remember using weapon speed through 1E and 2E. I thought that should have been brought forward to 3E and 4E, though simplified to light weapons being a +2 to initiative and heavy ones being a -2 (and, maybe similar to certain spells being +2/-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads