D&D's Going To The Barrier Peaks

"In prior community polls, we’ve asked for your thoughts on elemental trinkets, things carried in a giant’s bag, and unusual lich phylacteries." In other words, "we've asked you for your thoughts on previously upcoming adventures (PotA, SKT, and ToA)." The question is, will the forthcoming book be a compilation of classic modules a la Tales from the Yawning Portal or a fleshed-out...

"In prior community polls, we’ve asked for your thoughts on elemental trinkets, things carried in a giant’s bag, and unusual lich phylacteries."

In other words, "we've asked you for your thoughts on previously upcoming adventures (PotA, SKT, and ToA)."

The question is, will the forthcoming book be a compilation of classic modules a la Tales from the Yawning Portal or a fleshed-out, updated version of a classic module a la Curse of Strahd?

Henry

Autoexreginated
...aaall RIIIGHT!!!

This used to be one of my favorites, too. It had a few problems, design-wise, but it absolutely kept my various players guessing.

[sblock]I hope they PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE still keep in the paralysis pistol... (evil laughter)[/sblock]

I guess it's like a playtest of high-tech in a fantasy setting with a right level of power. Do remember a simple level 1 goblin riding a exo-suit may be a nightmare for the players. How should be the XP reward when the PC can kill all an horde of zombies because he found a RPG (Rocket-propelled grenade) in a crashed alien ship (whose origin is a mixture of the background of the games Star*Drive and Eclipse Phase).

jasper

Rotten DM
Well we know they are going to nerf the instant death if you fail and have the laser pistol pointed at your head chart. For those who don't know, a couple of charts existed which allow you figure out the weapon. Roll badly and you shot yourself.
Ok I remember vegypymies, wolf in sheep clothing, but that is all I remember of new monsters introduce to 1E. What am I missing?

Reynard

Legend
I guess it's like a playtest of high-tech in a fantasy setting with a right level of power. Do remember a simple level 1 goblin riding a exo-suit may be a nightmare for the players. How should be the XP reward when the PC can kill all an horde of zombies because he found a RPG (Rocket-propelled grenade) in a crashed alien ship (whose origin is a mixture of the background of the games Star*Drive and Eclipse Phase).
If there is a limited number of shots that can never be replenished, I say full XP.

I for one am excited by this prospect.

Rhineglade

Adventurer
Love this! I have so many fond memories of playing through this adventure as a kid. A crashed spaceship on the fantasy World of Greyhawk? Ingenious! Lots of comedy bits thrown around too for added fun. What character wouldn't want to get their hands on one of the laser pistols and start blasting away?

Last edited by a moderator:

Henry

Autoexreginated
Well we know they are going to nerf the instant death if you fail and have the laser pistol pointed at your head chart. For those who don't know, a couple of charts existed which allow you figure out the weapon. Roll badly and you shot yourself.
Ok I remember vegypymies, wolf in sheep clothing, but that is all I remember of new monsters introduce to 1E. What am I missing?

[sblock]The Froghemoth was introduced in Barrier Peaks, too.[/sblock]

Oh, those tiraphegs. They were so weird-looking that the party face, when the PCs first encountered them, could only manage a “Hello?” rather than his usual flowery speech. We teased him for months about that.

I will say that Barrier Peaks would make for a heck of a campaign-sized module and corresponding AL season. But the only way I could imagine it not being total (possibly balance-wrecking) insanity would be if they changed it from a spaceship to a Spelljammer ship.

One word: Tiraphegs.

RobJN

Adventurer
I'm surprised they didn't mash it together with DA 3: City of the Gods and transplant it to some corner of the Forgotten Realms.... :hmm:

Remove ads

Remove ads