D&D 5E D&D's official twitter feed is giving previews of art and contents from Monsters of the Multiverse

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
For those that don't want to have to watch the video, the 30ish confirmed races for the book are as follows:
  1. Aarakocra
  2. Aasimar
  3. Bugbear
  4. Centaur
  5. Changeling
  6. Deep Gnome (Svirfneblin)
  7. Duergar
  8. Eladrin
  9. Fairy
  10. Firbolg
  11. Air Genasi
  12. Earth Genasi
  13. Fire Genasi
  14. Water Genasi
  15. Githyanki
  16. Githzerai
  17. Goblin
  18. Goliath
  19. Harengon
  20. Hobgoblin
  21. Kenku
  22. Kobold
  23. Lizardfolk
  24. Minotaur
  25. Orc
  26. Satyr
  27. Sea Elf
  28. Shadar-Kai
  29. Shifter
  30. Tabaxi
  31. Tortle
  32. Triton
  33. Yuan-Ti (strangely, it doesn't say "Pureblood" on this section)
That's mostly what I was expecting it to be. There's a few surprises (Fairy and Harengon), and there's no Locathah or Grung in it (or the 8 Tiefling subraces), but it's more or less just the races (and subraces that are now becoming full races) from Volo's Guide to Monsters and Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes put in this book in an updated format. Genasi got some buffs, from what I heard, too.

Edit: I forgot to mention, it appears that none of the races that previously got Sunlight Sensitivity will have it from now on. (Duergar in this book, but probably not Drow, either, in the upcoming reprint of the PHB.)

pukunui

Legend
Are they completely doing away with the concept of subrace, or are they just doing that here so you don’t have to refer back to the base race in the PHB?

Making supplementary subraces their own race could simply be so they present the whole package in one place.

Aasimar and shifter both have subraces in their existing forms, for instance, but I don’t see them listed separately like the different genasi are. Do they no longer have subraces?

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
Are they completely doing away with the concept of subrace, or are they just doing that here so you don’t have to refer back to the base race in the PHB?

Making supplementary subraces their own race could simply be so they present the whole package in one place.

Aasimar and shifter both have subraces in their existing dorms, for instance, but I don’t see them listed separately like the different genasi are. Do they no long have subraces?
Looks like subraces are gone as a mechanic. They will be separate races that count as parent races.

Weiley31

Legend
Also: If the Duergar don't get the Dwarven racial traits, does that mean Shadar-Kai lose out on Fey Ancestry? I mean I was never big on having them as Elves either, but from a background lore perspective, it made sense that they had it since they were the results of Shadowfell fey and the Raven Queen's followers "mingling" together.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases