D&D 5E D&D's official twitter feed is giving previews of art and contents from Monsters of the Multiverse

pukunui

Legend
I would to try and dig up the quote, but I am pretty sure I have seen this set called extended Core, or something like that, where this, the PHB, DMG, and MM are all Core rules.
If that's the case, then that makes it sound even more like a case of "here's a cleaned-up, polished version of all the rules you'll need for this edition as we bring it to a close" than it did before.

Weiley31

Legend
And it looks like the UA Kobold is the new Kobold going forward. I do like the idea of starting a PC off with the original Kobold racial stat up, but then as PC does stuff and what not, they can "upgrade" features to the newer version. Like starting off with the Groveling ability, but then allow it to get upgraded to the Draconic Cry.

If that's the case, then that makes it sound even more like a case of "here's a cleaned-up, polished version of all the rules you'll need for this edition as we bring it to a close" than it did before.
And isn´t this a good thing?

Cleaning up is something that should be done once in a while to get everything up to date.

And considering, that 5.5 is still 2 years away, doing the cleanup now is actually on spot. You won´t have the feeling, that you have to play with unfinished rules if you decide not to upgrade and you don´t feel ripped of, if you buy it now and will find that you soon will get a new PHB with all changes incorporated (and probably something more).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Given that Volo’s and Mordy’s are both still in print, this book is 100% rehashing existing content in new ways. I would not call that a Monster Manual 2. It’s more of a “Monster and Playable Race Compendium”.

They may claim that 50Ae will be fully compatible now but I’ll believe that when I see it.
The race section is a prettysmall part of the book: this is mostly back to back Monster stat blocks, like the Monster Manual. This is for new people who don't want to buy 6 books, and for people who have said they don't want all that Lore in their Monster book. Monster Manual 2.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Given that Volo’s and Mordy’s are both still in print, this book is 100% rehashing existing content in new ways. I would not call that a Monster Manual 2. It’s more of a “Monster and Playable Race Compendium”.

They may claim that 50Ae will be fully compatible now but I’ll believe that when I see it.
Some people would really rather not financially encourage Volo's.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Doesn't feel like they are "closing" anything: if the new Core they are working on is like this, this feels like an intended evergreen 0rodict to straddle the transition.

pukunui

Legend
And isn´t this a good thing?

Cleaning up is something that should be done once in a while to get everything up to date.
Insofar as they are only “cleaning up” non-core races and monsters, no, this isn’t a good thing. It’s annoying because now the races and monsters in this book are no longer in line with what’s in the core rules. Yes, we’ll undoubtedly get PHB races and MM monster stats that are like these new ones in 50Ae but as you say, that’s two years away. I would have preferred that they save all these major changes for 50Ae instead of introducing them for some things but not everything as a sort of advance preview / experimentation.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Insofar as they are only “cleaning up” non-core races and monsters, no, this isn’t a good thing. It’s annoying because now the races and monsters in this book are no longer in line with what’s in the core rules. Yes, we’ll undoubtedly get PHB races and MM monster stats that are like these new ones in 50Ae but as you say, that’s two years away. I would have preferred that they save all these major changes for 50Ae instead of introducing them for some things but not everything as a sort of advance preview / experimentation.
But they are in line with the PHB Races as per Tasha...and this book is currently exclusively bundled with Tasha's Guide, which adds these rules onto the Core. The refresh isn't likely to be anything more or less than that, anyways, with new art and revised fluff.

Remove ads