D&D 5E D&D's official twitter feed is giving previews of art and contents from Monsters of the Multiverse

pukunui

Legend
But they are in line with the PHB Races as per Tasha...and this book is currently exclusively bundled with Tasha's Guide, which adds these rules onto the Core. The refresh isn't likely to be anything more or less than that, anyways, with new art and revised fluff.
Tasha’s rules let you swap stuff out of the PHB races but it doesn’t provide PHB elves with the new Fey Ancestry; it doesn’t introduce the new pb uses per long rest mechanic; it doesn’t give PHB halflings, gnomes, and dwarves 30-foot speed; and so on.

Tasha’s also has no effect on the MM stats. So now we’ve got new statblock formats for non-core monsters but we’re still stuck with the original formatting (and mechanics) for the MM monsters.

That’s the inconsistency I’m talking about.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Tasha’s rules let you swap stuff out of the PHB races but it doesn’t provide PHB elves with the new Fey Ancestry, it doesn’t introduce the new pb uses per long rest mechanic, and so on.

Tasha’s also has no effect on the MM stats. So now we’ve got new statblock formats for non-core monsters but we’re still stuck with the original formatting (and mechanics) for the MM monsters.

That’s the inconsistency I’m talking about.
But those "inconsistent" features can play at the same table, since they are all exceptions to begin with. You can mix Mosnters and PC from both sets willy nilly, with no issues.

pukunui

Legend
But those "inconsistent" features can play at the same table, since they are all exceptions to begin with. You can mix Mosnters and PC from both sets willy nilly, with no issues.
No issues from a mechanical standpoint. I expect there will be some grumbling at the table about having to wait another two years to see new takes on the PHB races and MM monsters with the new formatting and such. Hell, I’m grumbling about that right now!

I don’t think you understand the point I’m trying to make, so I’ll stop now. This is proving to be a fruitless argument.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
No issues from a mechanical standpoint. I expect there will be some grumbling at the table about having to wait another two years to see new takes on the PHB races and MM monsters with the new formatting and such. Hell, I’m grumbling about that right now!

I don’t think you understand the point I’m trying to make, so I’ll stop now. This is proving to be a fruitless argument.
I understand it, but it is a question of living with mess. The new Core is being formed, and this is to an extent a trial balloon to see how it works in practice before committing fully.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
The Genasi seem to mostly fall within the Cantrip/1st level spell/2nd level spell paradigm, which is something I felt they all needed.
Ditto. I really like how the Earth Genasi works, too. Blade Ward as a bonus action? Yes please! (Even if it's limited.) This is useful for basically everybody (except raging Barbarians), and is an extremely unique ability for a 5e race to have.

pukunui

Legend
I’m fine with the earth genasi change. I house ruled that they got blade ward as a racial spell already. I also gave air genasi the gust cantrip. I guess I’ll just have to tweak my genasi house rules - removing the earth genasi rule and adding in one giving shape water back to water genasi.

I understand it, but it is a question of living with mess. The new Core is being formed, and this is to an extent a trial balloon to see how it works in practice before committing fully.
As long as it all remains optional, especially on the DDB platform, I can deal with it. I may even come to like it. But right now I am going to rage against it because my back hurts and I’m not in a good mood.

pukunui

Legend
That's the best reason to rage against anything, in my experience.
I spent upwards of six hours driving — most of which was on winding roads — on Monday and now the muscles in between my shoulder blades are protesting loudly about their unfair working conditions.

EDIT: What all my loud complaining really boils down to is that I want them to update the core rules too, and I want them to do it now, not two years from now.

Last edited:

Remove ads