• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 Modern in 2007?

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
I'd like to chime in on a point made earlier.

When you decide on a setting/campaign template, for the most part people don't pick it up out side of the niche market interested in the setting/campaign template.

Year of the Zombie is a campaign template, plain and simple.

It doesn't matter that Fleshmongers and Marauders are easily usable in D&D, and in fact Marauders contains some D&D references in the mechanics section, it's only picked up by the people who play modern zombie games.

That's the risk you take when you decide to do a modern/future setting.

Wizards doesn't really want that risk, and is actually doing the smart thing by toolkitting it out.

d20 Cyberscape
d20 Future
d20 Modern

etc etc etc

That way, they provide the toolkit that will be necessary for any setting that is based on the information from that toolkit book.

Still, it's doubtful that d20 Modern or d20 Future is going away any time soon.

Kheti sa-Menik

First Post
CaptainChaos said:
Yup, and about every other d20 supers attempt. The only one that really does supers well is Mutants & Masterminds and that's because it threw out huge chunks of the d20 System in the first place.
*shrugs* I'd looked at them all, D20 and not...nothing is as good as Blood and Vigilance. Mutants & Masterminds, Champions....heck even the old Marvel Super Heroes RPG...none really do it right.

Blood and Vigilance is versatile and a powerful..just plug it in and go.
M&M is too clunky.

jezter6

Explorer
kingpaul said:
Though, of course, technically, it can never go away, since its been now immortalized in the MSRD. :D

Not to mention, the question was intentionally vague, and the answer intentionally short.

How about: Will we continue to see support for the d20 modern line in 2007?

At least if they only gave a yes/no answer we'd see where we are for this year.

buzz

Adventurer
jezter6 said:
Not to mention, the question was intentionally vague, and the answer intentionally short.
Well, the home page report may have been paraphrased for all I know.

jezter6 said:
How about: Will we continue to see support for the d20 modern line in 2007?
If all "not going away" means is that WotC will keep d20M in print and occasionally improve and revise it (the former being key), I'd be happy. Folks like RPGObjects are doing a stellar job with support product, and I already have far more d20M product than I'll likely ever use.

Morgenstern

First Post
buzz said:
There you go. :)

And here I was thinking it would be hard to construct a question that would tell you less when answered ;).

Q: "Are all d20 Modern books going to spontaneously combust before the end of the year?"
A: "No."

I'm not sure what else "going away" is supposed to mean.

Pbartender

First Post
Morgenstern said:
And here I was thinking it would be hard to construct a question that would tell you less when answered ;).

Q: "Are all d20 Modern books going to spontaneously combust before the end of the year?"
A: "No."

I'm not sure what else "going away" is supposed to mean.

"Daddy, is D20 Modern dead?" :(

"No, son, D20 Modern's just... sleeping..." :uhoh: "...You see, D20 Modern's got to go away for awhile, but don't worry... We'll get you a new little RPG for your birthday, and it'll be just like good ol' D20 Modern."

:p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads