• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 Modern supplement available [RolePlayingMaster]

Mynex

First Post
Jumping in here for a minute

Hey guys... Interesting read, won't hijack the thread either... just wanted to point something out that may be of interest...

We've (the PCGen team) have been slowly working toward the charater file (.pcg - plain text) being completely self contained.

Every detail of teh character saved, skills, feats, equip, etc...

In theory, once we hit total encapsulation, it should be a fairly simple deal to import/export most of that data into RPM (if I am understanding how Luke it doing it).. not to sure about CS, might require some serious tweaking...

But Javascript is an easier way to handle the data/character files of PCGen.

Anyways, Luke, good job on getting the D20 Modern done so quick! We should be there in the next release or 2... some tweakings going on to make it happen. :)

Good job with RPM. :)

Luke

Explorer
Re: Jumping in here for a minute

Mynex said:
We've (the PCGen team) have been slowly working toward the charater file (.pcg - plain text) being completely self contained.

Every detail of teh character saved, skills, feats, equip, etc...

Anyways, Luke, good job on getting the D20 Modern done so quick! We should be there in the next release or 2... some tweakings going on to make it happen. :)

Good job with RPM. :)

Thanks Mynex :)

A lot of people will be happy if I can properly import their PCGen characters/creatures into RPM adventures, and for in-game play.

I kind of assumed that the skills, feats, equip etc are already encapsulated in the .pcg file.
To do a complete job also means knowing the mechanics behind all the feats, class abilities etc.
To make things a little more challenging, RPM does have a slightly different outlook on programs that generate statblocks as an endpoint. For example, a statblock program wouldn't really have anything behind feats like cleave. For in game use, RPM has code behind "Cleave" that will notice if you just downed an opponent, and then prompt for another attack. In general, to do in-game stuff, you need to put more behind all the different parts of the game.

I've tried to keep an eye on the D20-XML project, but it progresses very slowly, and not sufficiently for in-game stuff.

Still, it sounds like PCGen is determined to continue its great community efforts, which can only help. I think that there's also a PCGen/XML effort in the works, which would be very, very good :)

Regards,

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads