• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 Modern supplement available [RolePlayingMaster]

Luke

Explorer
I'm pleased to announce that you can now download the free D20 Modern supplement for RolePlayingMaster.

Even if you're not sure about trying the modern day rules any time soon, D20 Modern has some interesting variations on current rules - well worth a look!
The supplement has 6 new basic classes and 12 advanced classes, along with a swag of new skills, feats, and items (modern weaponry!).

A report of the RPM Campaign Encyclopaedia entry can be viewed
here.

The following shows an entry with an interesting rule variation on stabilizing when dying:
modern_health.gif

Go here to get the download.

Regards,

Last edited:

Twin Rose

First Post
Leopold said:
damnitt beat us to it! Can you generate PC's with this or is this just info based??

Don't worry, Leopold, we're just a step behind as well. Of course, we'll have vehicle creation rules, ways of organizing your feats and weapons by category, Action Points, etc. I could have done it 'juts like a fantasy character' but seeing new damage types (balistic, electricity) and special rules for 'ordinaries' has had me working on new editors.

Be wary of certain traps, such as hard coding the ordinaries, or the damage types. However, personally, I'm having a fun time ripping out huge sections of code and replacing them to make more editors that can make the software just that much more configurable. I can't wait to try making a 'jello' damage type ;)

PS Luke: Are you allowed to use the IP "D20 Modern" like that? Might want to double check, just in case.

Hollywood

First Post
Its like lemmings in here...

We have two tools that are essential DM/campaign managers and one that is primarily a creature/character generator with DM feature additional program. And there are one or two others out there too. But then again, it apparently hasn't dawned on anyone to sit down, hammer out your differences and come up with a common data/script solution so that one supplement can be used by any user no matter the program.

All the end-user has to do then is select the program that best fits his/her needs and he's off to play because everyone is contributing to one base set of data and not reinventing the wheel three, four, five or more times.

Right now, I can't use that cool sword that was produced with the TwinRose software in RPM or PCGen. Rather, I must take the time and import it into one of those, or other, packages myself.

Ah well, guess it matters little to me since I consider d20 outside of D&D and d20 Modern as nothing but complete trash [my god, who in the world thinks that a Strong hero should be capable of handling animals better than a Smart hero... and then there is the combat; eh, they just don't bother to learn or use common sense at all]. And I'm not much impressed by any of the tools I've yet seen.

Twin Rose

First Post
Hollywood said:

We have two tools that are essential DM/campaign managers and one that is primarily a creature/character generator with DM feature additional program. And there are one or two others out there too. But then again, it apparently hasn't dawned on anyone to sit down, hammer out your differences and come up with a common data/script solution so that one supplement can be used by any user no matter the program.

Well, I've been working with Todd from DM's Familiar to create OLE automation and .COM objects for cross compatibility. It's not as easy as you might think, but I've been able to drag and drop CH5 (campaign suite characters) around through explorer/CS so it's just another step away.

Also, I've worked with the folks who make both Fractal Mapper AND Campaign Cartographer 2 to make maps that are usable with CS - it really didn't take much, but our sample maps are made with these programs.

Lastly, RPM is 'new' and slightly different. While I'll be porting my databases over to XML in the near future, I have no idea how compatible his scripting engine will be with that. Once the XML database is complete, I'll be creating .DLL files that read them, as well as an API and SDK to go with them. These should allow otehr developers instant access to my XML databases, or they can simply query them themselves. There will be complete documentation.

Hollywood

First Post
Twin Rose said:
Well, I've been working with Todd from DM's Familiar to create OLE automation and .COM objects for cross compatibility. It's not as easy as you might think, but I've been able to drag and drop CH5 (campaign suite characters) around through explorer/CS so it's just another step away.

OLE Automation/COM? UGH! UGH! UGH! Thats awful, its not cross platform, its... ugh. Try dropping that object into PCGen and see how far it gets.

Export the object with an agreed upon format, hopefully using open-standards and not proprietary BS, then each application can utilize the tools available in the language the application is developed in to facilitate the drag/drop functionality.

Take in Java for example, its not terribly difficult to setup a drop-zone and when an .xml file is dragged onto it, you can use, say jdom, to read it.

Also, I've worked with the folks who make both Fractal Mapper AND Campaign Cartographer 2 to make maps that are usable with CS - it really didn't take much, but our sample maps are made with these programs.

Thats nice, I suppose... if you find that feature at all useful. Personally as a DM, I don't. And I even have CC2 Pro.

Lastly, RPM is 'new' and slightly different. While I'll be porting my databases over to XML in the near future, I have no idea how compatible his scripting engine will be with that.

Its Javascript. And XML database? Why?! XML is a useful tool in many situations such as import/export, as a report tool, etc. But not as a database....

These should allow otehr developers instant access to my XML databases, or they can simply query them themselves. There will be complete documentation.

And if they were all in one agreed upon format for import/export, no one would need to bother with proprietary API/SDKs from each small-time 3rd party developer.

Twin Rose

First Post
Hollywood said:

OLE Automation/COM? UGH! UGH! UGH! Thats awful, its not cross platform, its... ugh. Try dropping that object into PCGen and see how far it gets.

As much as I respect the folks at PCGen, I can't really understand why character files from one character generator NEED to be transferred to another?

Export the object with an agreed upon format, hopefully using open-standards and not proprietary BS, then each application can utilize the tools available in the language the application is developed in to facilitate the drag/drop functionality.

Take in Java for example, its not terribly difficult to setup a drop-zone and when an .xml file is dragged onto it, you can use, say jdom, to read it.

Thats what I said, isn't it?

Thats nice, I suppose... if you find that feature at all useful. Personally as a DM, I don't. And I even have CC2 Pro.

CS lets you link a given section of your map to a given city or dungeon or specific room in the database. You can highlight areas for specific encounter tables. All one click away from viewing if you should wish at the table, or even during design time for printout.

Its Javascript. And XML database? Why?! XML is a useful tool in many situations such as import/export, as a report tool, etc. But not as a database....

And if they were all in one agreed upon format for import/export, no one would need to bother with proprietary API/SDKs from each small-time 3rd party developer.

Because we are all trying to have the most complete tool, to the point that it would make no sense to have them be cross-compatible. CS goes to retail very soon, and grows every month.

Hollywood

First Post
Twin Rose said:
As much as I respect the folks at PCGen, I can't really understand why character files from one character generator NEED to be transferred to another?

Gee, I dunno. If I as a DM am using CS and one my players is using PCGen [for whatever reasons], would certainly be nice to be able to take his character from PCGen and have it available in CS so that I could use use CS to keep track of its stats during the campaign.

I hate to say it, but thats not a terribly hard concept to grasp.

Thats what I said, isn't it?

Not since you were referring specifically to proprietary technology.

CS lets you link a given section of your map to a given city or dungeon or specific room in the database. You can highlight areas for specific encounter tables. All one click away from viewing if you should wish at the table, or even during design time for printout.

Thats nice, but its not useful to me.

Because we are all trying to have the most complete tool, to the point that it would make no sense to have them be cross-compatible. CS goes to retail very soon, and grows every month.

Yeah, I read you loud and clear. You want to have a tool that does everything you think it should and in completely proprietary formats that if an enduser who purcahses it doesn't think it does everything he needs it to do, but wants to utilize data from parts of it he does use in other programs, he can't.

Its wonderful in this day and age where the big players are putting together ideas like Web Services [and no, I won't debate whether they will take off or not] and looking at how to allow people to distribute data between different platforms with as much ease and security sa possible, that some small botique software vendors are still stuck in the "dark ages" so to speak.

Max

First Post
Hollywood said:
All the end-user has to do then is select the program that best fits his/her needs and he's off to play because everyone is contributing to one base set of data and not reinventing the wheel three, four, five or more times.

(Luke's thread has sort of been hi-jacked. :) )

I love the fact that there are several programmers/companies working hard to address the needs of the gaming community. As is generally true with competition, I'm sure they are pushing each other to produce the best programs possible. I have no problem with each company putting its efforts towards making their own product the best.

That said, I also don't have a problem if the various programs don't spend a lot of resources trying to work together.

Just because there are other programs out there that are pretty good, it doesn't mean I have to use them - nor will I. I am currently in the process of figuring out what will work best for me. Once I've selected the program that best fits my needs, I won't be using the other programs. So, I won't be reinventing the wheel over and over and won't run into the problem you suggest exists.

Max

Remove ads