• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 Modern...Will it be here in a year???

broghammerj

Explorer
Considering everything that is going on at WotC, I want to know everyone's perspective about the upcoming D20 Modern game and its potential future. Here's my point of view.

I've played DND since the days of the boxed sets, but wan't really hooked until ADND. I was skeptical about the release of 2nd Ed, but welcomed it as a change and I enjoyed the game for many years.

Then came Alternity. We held off on playing this game for a while. A new game without support is destined to die, so I wanted to see where it would go. Things looked good so we started buying up books. About three months after going on a spending hiatus the company pulled the plug. We were pretty upset.

When 3rd Ed came out, my group refused to buy it thinking that WotC was using it as a way to make more money. The Alternity debacle had left a sour taste in our mouth. WotC was saying they published far too many books that were filling niche areas: Ravenloft, Al-Qaudim, Mystera, Planescape, Dark Sun, Birthright, etc. All of these lines were cut. They were unprofitable and the new company focus was going to be on "core books" and eventually the new OGL.

Well, one of our players bought the PHB. We looked it over and thinking that it was well done, we made the switch. This was one of the best moves we made. We love the game and it's given us hours of fun play.

Now D20 modern comes along. It looks to be interesting and with OGL it's going to get a lot of support. We used to play Shadowrun, Twilight 2K, Alternity, and Darkmatter. This game could be all of them. I was planning to definitely jump on board. But now look at what is going on with the company! IMHO, they're publishing too many books like before: DND, Star Wars, Cthulhu, d20 modern, etc. Violating their own rule if you will. The recent firing of the very authors who brought DND back to life. The sale of Dragon/Dungeon. The end of Chainmail. No reprints of Cthulhu. Lack of products coming out for Star Wars. These all add up to one thing for me.

D20 modern could very well be my Alternity all over again.:(

broghammerj

Explorer
Check out the d20 Systems Games message board on this site for more info. There is a thread concerning Cthulhu reprints. I'm not a board regular so linking is beyond my technical capacity.:eek:

Lizard

Explorer
broghammerj said:
Considering everything that is going on at WotC, I want to D20 modern could very well be my Alternity all over again.:(

Maybe not. Current plans are for the D20 Modern core rules to placed in the OGL very quickly. This means that the system CAN'T die. The OGL cannot be recalled or terminated; once a document has been placed under the OGL, it is that way forever.

Yuan-Ti

First Post
zilch said:
I hadn't heard there'd be no reprints of Call of Cthulhu.
Does that mean I'd better buy it?

The word on the other thread is that the deal with Chaosium was that WotC would release the CoC d20 book and the Chaosium would do the rest. Apparently, this includes any reprints of the core CoC d20 book. Will Chaosium reprint it? Unclear.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads