D&D 3E/3.5 D20 Pirates Blog--Updated

Thomas Bowman

First Post
I don't know. I'll think about it, nothing is concrete, maybe I'll use the 12th century Earth or a fantastic version of it. You know D&D has wandered far from its medieval routes, what if we go back to it, lets give that a try.

Thomas Bowman

First Post
Not bad, similar to the pantheon I'm using, I have a Sun god too, he could be either Apollo of Helios, I also have Gaea, and I have two more deities of living planets Mars and Venus or if you like to use the Greek names Ares and Aphrodite. I'm working on refining a map of 12th century Europe, it has terrain types which I believe would be about the same as your version of Earth, I also think cities would tend to be in some of the same places, near bodies of water such as rivers and such. If I had a Moon goddess, I would figure I would have to alter the Moon to look like this:
terraformed_moon_by_exospace-d5q6kfx.png

The one on the left would be the Moon seen in this Earth's skies, and of course it would have inhabitants too. This Moon remains tidally locked with the Earth so it would have month-long days. Nights under a full moon would be brighter, as oceans and clouds would tend to be more reflective than the Moon's grey surface. This version of the Moon has forests with trees one thousand feet tall, this would be similar in height to a 100 story building or the Empire State Building in New York City. Elves would be the primary inhabitants of this Moon.

Thomas Bowman

First Post
Building on the previous post, this one presents details about the worship of more recently venerated deities, along with suggestions for how being make the transition from mortal to immortal.

http://d20pirates.blogspot.com/2018/01/veneration-and-deification.html

-Nate

I was reading your blog on the history and Geography of Homeworld a few questions spring to mind.
Since this is d20 Pirates are there gunpowder weapons in this setting?, typically in our world, the golden age of pirates was in the 1600s, does this setting have similar weapons and equipment to that period in our history. Also your map shows the Old World, what about the New World? Does the New World of Homeworld have the Indian Tribes we are familiar with or similar to them? Has this world had its version of Christopher Columbus yet? Because when I think of Pirates, I get the image of Pirates of the Caribbean and the Caribbean is in the New World, and since your world has the same geography of our world, then I guess there is a Caribbean. Does the Northern Empire have colonies in the New World, gold mines there and Galleons for pirates to plunder?

NMC

Explorer
I was reading your blog on the history and Geography of Homeworld a few questions spring to mind.
Since this is d20 Pirates are there gunpowder weapons in this setting?, typically in our world, the golden age of pirates was in the 1600s, does this setting have similar weapons and equipment to that period in our history. Also your map shows the Old World, what about the New World? Does the New World of Homeworld have the Indian Tribes we are familiar with or similar to them? Has this world had its version of Christopher Columbus yet? Because when I think of Pirates, I get the image of Pirates of the Caribbean and the Caribbean is in the New World, and since your world has the same geography of our world, then I guess there is a Caribbean. Does the Northern Empire have colonies in the New World, gold mines there and Galleons for pirates to plunder?

Thomas,

When I first started the blog, I used the Skull & Bones setting for 3rd Edition D&D to create articles and adventures. I also dabbled in the Pirates of the Spanish Main and The Sixth Gun for use with Savage Worlds RPG. Anything that's labeled "space fantasy," however, is a separate setting for use with the Pathfinder RPG.

Homeworld and the Sol System are the setting I'm using for my current home campaign, which of course is inspired by the old Spelljammer setting. I think of it as early Renaissance-era, so gunpowder is starting to be known and used.

-Nate

Thomas Bowman

First Post
Thomas,

When I first started the blog, I used the Skull & Bones setting for 3rd Edition D&D to create articles and adventures. I also dabbled in the Pirates of the Spanish Main and The Sixth Gun for use with Savage Worlds RPG. Anything that's labeled "space fantasy," however, is a separate setting for use with the Pathfinder RPG.

Homeworld and the Sol System are the setting I'm using for my current home campaign, which of course is inspired by the old Spelljammer setting. I think of it as early Renaissance-era, so gunpowder is starting to be known and used.

-Nate
So its basically a Wildspace setting with Spelljammer rules.
Have you got Spelljammer rules for 3.5/Pathfinder?
Also with spelljammers flying around through Wildspace, someone is bound to look down on Homeworld and discover four extra continents, what would in our world be called North America, South America, Australia, an Antarctica. In Homeworld, the Americas might be called Terranova, there is a good chance that Australia might still be called Australia as that word has Latin roots, and it appears that the Northern Empire you created might have grown out of some version of the Roman Empire perhaps. Just guessing you know.

Thomas Bowman

First Post
Here are encounter tables for Homeworld, along with storylines inspired by them.

http://d20pirates.blogspot.com/2018/02/encounters-on-homeworld.html

-Nate
Thanks, that's really illustrative of the sort of setting this World is about. Since I don't know what names you've given to the continents of the New World, I'll ask this question using the labels I've supplied. Are there any Terranova colonies yet? By my definition "Terranova" includes the continent of North and South America as well as the Caribbean. The Caribbean might still be called the Caribbean, as that's an Indian (read Native American) name. I'm not sure what societies might exist in what I call the Terranova continents, its up to you I guess. What do you want to put there?

Remove ads