• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Transformers...

rvaughn_ffg

First Post
Green Knight said:
Will there be rules for Gestalts/Combiners? Two or more robots which merge together to form a larger robot? How about robots with more then one alternate form? Triple-changes, quadruple changers, etc? And last but not least, will it be possible to recreate robots similar to Headmasters/Targetmasters? Albeit not like how it was done on American tv. Let me explain. In the Japanese Headmaster series, the heads were robots, NOT fleshies in mechanical suits. Conversely, the bodies were dead things, NOT living robots. So essentially what you had was a human-sized robot who had all the benefits of being human-sized, but when he wanted to, he could merge with his car parked outside and thus become a normal sized robot. Any way to recreate that with the rules in the Mechamorphosis books?

Gestalts/Voltrons: Yep.
Multiple Alt-forms: Yep.
Robot heads/robot weapons: Yep (no humans turning into heads or guns, though . . . that always gave me the creeps. That'd really hurt, being scrunched up like that!).

Green Knight

First Post
rvaughn_ffg said:
Gestalts/Voltrons: Yep.
Multiple Alt-forms: Yep.
Robot heads/robot weapons: Yep (no humans turning into heads or guns, though . . . that always gave me the creeps. That'd really hurt, being scrunched up like that!).

Sweet! Glad to see the rules will cover all those different varieties.

And yeah, gotta agree with you about the humans in exosuits thing. Apparently the suit expands out into a room, but still. I had a couple of the Headmaster toys when I was little, and considering the way they transformerd, I can't shake the feeling that the pilots (whether Humans or Nebulans) would break every bone in their body whenever they transformed.

Anyway, about the gestalts, any chance you can give us a hint as to how they'll work in the game? How do you keep things interesting for the entire player group when their five PC's merge into one giant robot? After all, on the face of it, there's not a lot of fun to be had being a leg. :p

rvaughn_ffg

First Post
Anyway, about the gestalts, any chance you can give us a hint as to how they'll work in the game? How do you keep things interesting for the entire player group when their five PC's merge into one giant robot? After all, on the face of it, there's not a lot of fun to be had being a leg.

"And I'll form the head!"

Our initial plan is to use party cooperation, followed soon after by inter-party conflict! :). When the players form a gestalt, they have a reasonable amount of time to decide what to do (GM's discretion). When they do take an action, the players rotate rolling the resolution dice . . . I've seen this sort of thing happen in other games, where one player makes a roll for the whole group, and it's usually an edge-of-seat moment. If they haven't decided as a group what to do by that time, they can't take an action. The big multi-bot bots were often easily confused, distractable, and off their rockers, and this reflects that.

On the less friendly side, there's also the "take control" option. Bots that form a gestalt can try to "hijack" control of it from their fellow bots, but in order to do so they need to beat every other bot vying for control as well. Probably going to use opposed Will saves for this mechanic, not absolutely sure yet. If the hijacking bot succeeds, he can control the gestalt for that round; if he fails, the gestalt flails about in a silly fashion. So a canny player can intimidate the others into submission if he suggests that resisting his control would spell doom for all of them . . .

rvaughn_ffg

First Post
More mechamorph art

Here's some more art for you guys. Just for kicks, maybe I'll hold a pseudo-contest to come up with names for the seaplane and the cell phone!

Attachments

• Cellphone_Small.JPG
    Cellphone_Small.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 172
  • Energized_Small.JPG
    Energized_Small.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Impact_Small.JPG
    Impact_Small.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 152

Green Knight

First Post
A cellphone? LOL! How awesome! Talk about stretching the concept of "robot in disguise" to its utmost. ;)

Which brings me to my next question: Just how big is that guy? Are we talking a 2-3" tall robot, or much like Megatron and Ravage, does this guy shrink beyond his normal size? If that's the case, then how do you handle it when a robot which is normally size Huge transforms into something that's size Small (Robot to boom box), or size Medium to size Tiny (Robot to cassette)?

But anyway, thanks for the new pics. These guys look REALLY good! I especially like that construction vehicle guy.

Just for kicks, maybe I'll hold a pseudo-contest to come up with names for the seaplane and the cell phone!

Damn you. I didn't come into this thread expecting to get put under the gun. :p Well, seeing that other thread, guess I'm left with no choice. ;)

Remove ads