• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General DALL·E 3 does amazing D&D art

FitzTheRuke

Legend
As an artist, I find the output here both quite amazing, and also quite terrible. As in: they're not very good, but they're better than I expect them to be. I agree that AI makes for an interesting tool, but does not make for any sort of replacement for people. I'd feel that artists have nothing to fear if it weren't for the fact that people who have no idea what they're talking about (which sadly includes many people involved in corporate decision-making) will THINK that they can use these rather than more expensive human artists.

I mean, we already live in a world with inferior layout designs because anyone with a design program thinks that they can design the lay-out of a magazine (or a website), when skilled professionals used to do it, to much better results.

It's kind of the worst: AI creates USEABLE artwork. Not GOOD artwork. Some people won't be able to tell the difference at a glance, but IF we were to replace human artists with AI, I think we'd all quickly realize that art will have gone to crap. This would probably create a backlash against it that would right the ship, but who knows?

Ultimately the problem isn't the AI itself, it's corporate greed and short-sightedness that is the danger to artists (and humans in general).

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Is there a (SFW) way to get Frazetta style? The Goliath's last page I guess would count.
Not what you were looking for (out of boosts, but I'm trying to figure out the Frazetta style), but I love the results nevertheless.

Attachments

• _0e950209-3519-4709-83f4-616305f39cdb.jpg
    _0e950209-3519-4709-83f4-616305f39cdb.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 46
  • _551eb9b5-08ed-424f-bea1-29dc456d5b2f.jpg
    _551eb9b5-08ed-424f-bea1-29dc456d5b2f.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 54
  • _1dfbecf1-ab75-41f6-bc74-e80a48b6aa2b.jpg
    _1dfbecf1-ab75-41f6-bc74-e80a48b6aa2b.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 46

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
Glittering minerals in the ceiling of this large cavern catch the light and send it back to create the impression of a starry night sky, bones are scattered across the floor (apparently skeletons crushed by fallen debris is prompt block worthy)

1.jpg4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg

Clint_L

Legend
As an artist, I find the output here both quite amazing, and also quite terrible. As in: they're not very good, but they're better than I expect them to be. I agree that AI makes for an interesting tool, but does not make for any sort of replacement for people. I'd feel that artists have nothing to fear if it weren't for the fact that people who have no idea what they're talking about (which sadly includes many people involved in corporate decision-making) will THINK that they can use these rather than more expensive human artists.

I mean, we already live in a world with inferior layout designs because anyone with a design program thinks that they can design the lay-out of a magazine (or a website), when skilled professionals used to do it, to much better results.

It's kind of the worst: AI creates USEABLE artwork. Not GOOD artwork. Some people won't be able to tell the difference at a glance, but IF we were to replace human artists with AI, I think we'd all quickly realize that art will have gone to crap. This would probably create a backlash against it that would right the ship, but who knows?

Ultimately the problem isn't the AI itself, it's corporate greed and short-sightedness that is the danger to artists (and humans in general).
People make lots of money making bland, unoriginal art. Look at a typical sitcom. Big Bang Theory was a profit monster for years. So I'm not going to bet too heavily on that ship righting itself.

And "good" is subjective, so from a corporate perspective, "good" art is what people will pay for.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I dont know. From my point of view, none of the picture I generated is good enough to be in a RPG as art piece.

but

They are a good starting point/concept art/sketches to give a general idea for real artist to create a real art piece with your the examples you've generated. I think it helps bridging the intent of the one commissioning the art and the artist creating it by putting words/ideas into clearer images.

Yeah, I agree with all of this: I am enjoying goofing around with this, but it is no substitute for the real thing and I am unsure how the ethics of usage will play out.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Currently at least, using it to generate concept art seems to be its strongest use. I imagine some folks who are digital artists can use it as a foundation, but I am not sure whether that would actually help that much (since I am not a visual artist).

As a writer, though, I have been fooling around pretty extensively with Claude AI and it has similar use for idea generation and potential plot outlining -- the writing equivalent of concept art. Claude is much better than the previous iteration of ChatGPT for producing prose, but it is still pretty bad.

I did have it explain an engineering question to me and it did a pretty good job. But then i asked another question and the answer read just as well but was completely wrong. So, like, maybe don't use it for medical advice or anything.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Currently at least, using it to generate concept art seems to be its strongest use. I imagine some folks who are digital artists can use it as a foundation, but I am not sure whether that would actually help that much (since I am not a visual artist).

As a writer, though, I have been fooling around pretty extensively with Claude AI and it has similar use for idea generation and potential plot outlining -- the writing equivalent of concept art. Claude is much better than the previous iteration of ChatGPT for producing prose, but it is still pretty bad.

I did have it explain an engineering question to me and it did a pretty good job. But then i asked another question and the answer read just as well but was completely wrong. So, like, maybe don't use it for medical advice or anything.
Actually the main takeaway for me is thst maybe I need to get back into using creative writing as a personal outlet, I'm having a lot of fun with making up little stories and trying to get a photo.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Yeah, I agree with all of this: I am enjoying goofing around with this, but it is no substitute for the real thing and I am unsure how the ethics of usage will play out.
Some company will make "ethically sourced training data" a centerpiece of their marketing, I have no doubt.

I am curious when the first true test of copyright comes in when someone spends a bunch of time and multiple platforms to create something intentional and unique. It is hard to say that you couldn't claim copyright over something you built meticulously, regardless of the tool.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads