Dammit! +ve covid test

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Drink lots of water, but don't drink any Beholders! Although, I hear the anti-magic ray has other anti-properties...

Mercurius

Legend
I just want to say that while the mainstream medical establishment doesn't endorse ivermectin for covid, at least in the west, it isn't just some nebulous "the internet" that does - there are quite a lot of doctors and other health care practitioners that are recommending it and other approaches for treatment.

Throwing around terms like "medical misinformation" in this day and age is tricky, because it depends upon who you are talking to. In the end, it comes down to who you trust, and what makes sense to you.

And to clarify, I am not recommending for or against any particular avenue of treatment. But I do take issue with this sharp duality of "the mainstream is true, and everything else is misinformation." That is a very dangerous place to find ourselves.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I just want to say that while the mainstream medical establishment doesn't endorse ivermectin for covid, at least in the west, it isn't just some nebulous "the internet" that does - there are quite a lot of doctors and other health care practitioners that are recommending it and other approaches for treatment.

Throwing around terms like "medical misinformation" in this day and age is tricky, because it depends upon who you are talking to. In the end, it comes down to who you trust, and what makes sense to you.

And to clarify, I am not recommending for or against any particular avenue of treatment. But I do take issue with this sharp duality of "the mainstream is true, and everything else is misinformation." That is a very dangerous place to find ourselves.
My wife is an infectious disease doctor, so if anyone has any questions about vaccines or COVID please feel free to shoot me a message, and I'll pass it onto her. She is someone I trust!

Overall though, vaccines, masks, social distancing = scientifically proven to be effective.

Horse dewormer, bleach, other viral (ha ha) solutions = not proven by science to be effective; or proven to be harmful

My wife was involved in the study that showed hydroxychloroquine was not an effective medicine for COVID. It's an anti-malarial drug, and malaria is actually her specialty!

Mercurius

Legend
That's just a recipe for believing anything because you idiosyncratically think it "makes sense".
Not at all. It is saying to trust your own judgment - including whose expertise to trust over others.

Even the most heterodox person still believe stuff - they don't just "believe anything" - just not orthodox perspectives.

Stalker0

Legend
However... that is how science works.

Science (of which medicine is a part) collects study after study until a "general consensus" is found. That consensus (the mainstream as you put it) is then truth.

Now what makes science such a powerhouse is that it includes with it the seeds of its own destruction. Science says "I am right....but here's how you prove me wrong". And so as more and more studies are done and new evidence comes along.....eeeeeevery once in a while we find that the general consensus is wrong, and a new paradigm is formed.

However, most of us are not scientists, and are very ignorant of the painstaking process in which such general consensus is born. So we hear about alternative "XYZ" and immediately go "well this doctor thinks that X is good....must be something to it". And the answer is, maybe there is something there. However, the vast vast vast majority of the time, its not. It takes a lot of work before a new general consensus is formed, and most of the people who try to change the consensus fail, because their evidence just isn't strong enough, there was a flaw in their methods, etc etc.

The fact that there are doctors and scientists that don't agree with the general consensus is a very positive thing, science by its nature is designed to challenge itself. However, as laymen, we really shouldn't be taking a lone voice in the dark as the "secret truth no one is talking about". If the general consensus changes it will be because of doctors and scientists, not laypeople sitting around arguing about what theory on the internet they heard. And if and when that consensus changes, then the scientists around the world will let us know, and then we should act accordingly.

Until that time.... Ivermectin is not a recommended therapy, and in fact people have been cautioned not to take it for Covid. That is the science as of now. That could absolutely change in 6 months or a few years, but right now the best truth we got says not to take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases