D&D General Dan Rawson Named New Head Of D&D

Hasbro has announced a former Microsoft digital commerce is the new senior vice president in...

Hasbro has announced a former Microsoft digital commerce is the new senior vice president in charge of Dungeons & Dragons. Dan Rawson was the COO of Microsoft Dynamics 365.

wotc-new-logo-3531303324.jpg

Hasbro also hired Cynthia Williams earlier this year; she too, came from Microsoft. Of Rawson, she said "We couldn’t be bringing on Dan at a better time. With the acquisition of D&D Beyond earlier this year, the digital capabilities and opportunities for Dungeons & Dragons are accelerating faster than ever. I am excited to partner with Dan to explore the global potential of the brand while maintaining Hasbro’s core value as a player-first company.”

Rawson himself says that "Leading D&D is the realization of a childhood dream. I’m excited to work with Cynthia once again, and I’m thrilled to work with a talented team to expand the global reach of D&D, a game I grew up with and now play with my own kids.”

Interestingly, Ray Wininger -- who has been running D&D for the last couple of years -- has removed mention of WotC and Hasbro from his Twitter bio.

TheSword

Legend
I won’t be sorry if Winniger is out. The last 1 1/2 years have been the poorest so far of 5e. Just lousy. Time for some new blood, though I don’t have high hopes.

jasper

Rotten DM
Honestly I'd go a step further and say we got our evergreen edition in 2014 and that anyone expecting this update to drastically change 5e is in for a big disappointment. WotC didn't just buy D&D Beyond so that they could make the work already done in it null and void... at most we'll see the types of changes that can be done with relatively easy tweaks to the structure of DnD Beyond right now.

Never underestimate the power of a manager to null and void six plus months of programming work.

Jaeger

That someone better
It took me a long time to learn that you don't need to buy every book. Especially adventure books.

WotC is absolutely banking on that - except, with like everybody...

In the report 74% of their 1.3 billion in revenue ($962 million) was from tabletop games. What we don't know is what % is D&D vs MtG. To be clear, this does not include digital sales.

Last time I saw someone break things down it was a bit better than 2:1 in favor of MtG.

Evidently Richard Garfield was an Alchemist that figured out how to turn slips of cardstock into crack cocaine...

Ohh - Found it: From my man gss000

Because it's making more money than any other part of WotC, and WotC's making more money than other parts of Hasbro.

So we "need" a pure money-man in charge instead of some kind of filthy hippy creative (even though Winninger had some pretty serious corporate experience).

MtG is still the number one money maker at WotC. Hands Down.

But for various reasons D&D is by far the more exploitable IP in terms of multi-media potential.

I won’t be sorry if Winniger is out. The last 1 1/2 years have been the poorest so far of 5e. Just lousy. Time for some new blood, though I don’t have high hopes.

And when compared to some 3rd party product, their first few offerings weren't all that hot either. But hey, they were "official D&D".

If anything the recent display of mediocrity has convinced me that the "pro" RPG designers at WotC arrived at their present position mainly through politicking, drive, and persistence, rather than possessing any genuine talent in game design that's measurably better than someone like Kevin Crawford putting out RPG's as a side hustle...

Last edited:

Haplo781

Legend
WotC is absolutely banking on that - except, with like everybody...

Last time I saw someone break things it was about 2:1 in favor of MtG.

Evidently Richard Garfield was an Alchemist that figured out how to turn slips of cardstock into crack cocaine...

Ohh - Found it: From my man gss000

MtG is still the number one money maker at WotC. Hands Down.

But for various reasons D&D is by far the more exploitable IP in terms of multi-media potential.

And when compared to some 3rd party product, their first few offerings weren't all that hot either. But hey, they were "official D&D".

If anything the recent display of mediocrity has convinced me that the "pro" RPG designers at WotC arrived at their present position mainly through politicking, drive, and persistence, rather than possessing any talent in game design that's measurably better than someone like Kevin Crawford putting out RPG's as a side hustle...
I honestly, sincerely hope that 1DD falls far short of sales goals and Hasbro either sells the brand or demotes it to "we ain't making this a priority".

Either way would be better for the industry and for us.

If anything the recent display of mediocrity has convinced me that the "pro" RPG designers at WotC arrived at their present position mainly through politicking, drive, and persistence, rather than possessing any talent in game design

100%

The guy who killed 4e and ran 5e for a while is the poster boy for those qualities.

Remove ads

Remove ads