• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Darkness not total?

Taloras

First Post
Damn...the 3.5 darkness spell doesnt do all that I thought it did....my idea was for a warlock/rogue.....devils sight+darkness = nasty.....but apparently the spell doesnt work that way anymore....

Devils Sight is an invocation that lets you see in darkness(natural or magical) up to 30 feat. darkness spell no longer grants total concealment, only giving 20%......meaning it doesnt help the rogue with sneak attacks, as they can still see it coming.

Felon

First Post
Note though that it does negate light sources of equal or lower level, which can effectively create darkness if light or continual light spells are the only sources of illumination. And some DM's house-rule that a darkness spell in an area that's already shadowy combine to create total darkness.

But yes, 3.5e nerfed darkness to prevent the exploitation of exactly the sort of tactic you're referring to. Before warlocks, players would do it with the blindsight spell from the FR sourcebook.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Devils Sight is still useful for a rogue. A rogue cannot make sneak attacks if the target is getting concealment. So, in dim-lit area, your Warlock/Rogue can make sneak attacks but ordinary rogues can't.

Krelios

First Post
Plus even with 20% Concealment, your Rogue can still hide to make Sneak Attacks. He just has to make that check first. Heck, you could make an argument that the rules for "Sniping" (Ranged Attack, immediate re-hide at -20) would apply to Eldritch Blast as well, but that's kind of a stretch.

Sadrik

First Post
Note also something very dumb with darkness spell or usefull I suppose is that it makes the area full of shadows so if you were in a dark room you could raise the illumination to shadows in the area so you or other can see in it.

Sadrik

TheGogmagog

First Post
Sadrik said:
Note also something very dumb with darkness spell or usefull I suppose is that it makes the area full of shadows so if you were in a dark room you could raise the illumination to shadows in the area so you or other can see in it.

Sadrik
That's a debatable interpretation, not worth debating here, confirm with your DM. I think the more common interpretation is that it does not create shadowy illumination in natural darkness.

As noted above your rogue can still hide with the 20% concealment, and if his site allows him to ignore the 20% miss chance then he can sneak attack. Another way to sneak attack would be obscurement or fog cloud. If you are just inside the fog cloud you have concealment. A target just outside the fog cloud does not have concealment, so you can sneak attack him and have no miss chance.
I don't think that there are any spells that allow you to freely ignore concealment from fog clouds.

ARandomGod

First Post
Felon said:
Note though that it does negate light sources of equal or lower level, which can effectively create darkness if light or continual light spells are the only sources of illumination. And some DM's house-rule that a darkness spell in an area that's already shadowy combine to create total darkness.

But yes, 3.5e nerfed darkness to prevent the exploitation of exactly the sort of tactic you're referring to. Before warlocks, players would do it with the blindsight spell from the FR sourcebook.

Not actually true... 3.5 darkness creates light. It just lowers (or raises) the illumination to "shadowy". So even if your darkness spell just turned off ALL the other lights, it's still there providing all the shadowy illumination needed.

Primitive Screwhead said:
More importantly, before you debate it here.. go back a couple pages to read where it has already been debated :)

Post a link already. What if we don't find it? ^_^
This is one of my most hated spell effects. Darkness creates light indeed! What a horrible RAW fact (fact?)

Sejs

First Post
Sadrik said:

Sadrik

However, with Devil's Sight you wouldn't need to because you can see through the normal darkness just fine.

Only thing you'd be using the Darkness spell would be to let other people be able to see... sort-of.

Y'know, I really get annoyed at the non-accessable search function on these forums sometimes...

Google got me the following.. but I know there was a fairly recent one that got in depth on the subject that is not showing up.

Spells - Seeing/attacking out of Darkness http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=127549

Darkness better than Deeper Darkness http://www.enworld.org/archive/index.php/t-76858.html

Real Magical Darkness http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=123822

Short version as I recall it:

Per RAW, Darkness turns the current lighting condition to that of 'shadowy illumination' regardless of the current lighting condition. Therefore providing the odd circumstance of casting the spell in pitch black conditions and being able to enlighten the area with a 'darkness' spell.

Consensus reached was to HR that 3.5 Darkness caps the areas lighting condition at 'shadowy illumination' on the bright end of the scale. This means casting the spell in darker conditions has no visible effect while maintaining the spells primary function.
Kind of like turning a dimmer switch down.
Normal interaction with Light spells, so having a Darkness spell in a dark area will still have a benefit.

My input, and the way I handle it, is that a scale exists for lighting conditions in an area. Darknss spells reduce the condition 1 or more steps, light spells increase the condition 1 or more steps. Fiarly easy to do using a point based spell system :)

o- Blinding Sunlight
o- Bright Daylight
o- Cloudy
o- Shadowy Illumination
o- Darkness
o- Deeper Darkness

YMMV, etc..

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads