Darkness - What is "shadowy illumination"?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Thanee said:
I would make one change to Darkness... it does not create shadowy illumination, but it limits light in the area to shadowy illumination instead; it doesn't make a dark room any brighter than it is, because that is just silly. :)

Bye
Thanee

QFT.

I personally understand the spell to do this already. Saying that it "creates an area of shadowy illumination," doesn't mean, to me, that it creates light. It just creates an area where all illumination that exists is shadowy.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
KarinsDad said:
What do you do in total darkness anyway?

Darkness conditions still exist in the game rules. They are rare in actual play, but they exist.

Do it the hard way because it's going to be a thematic part of that adventure?

Everburning Torches are cheap, as are regular torches. If the GM has taken the time to counter those, he really really wants to play with those Grimlock minis he's setting up over there on the edge of the table. :)

Darkness-as-Darkness also creates, as one of my M:tG players would often say, a "serious card advantage" situation. If it's such a difficult spell to work within, it has to be countered ... but the only counters in the core book are 3rd level spells, 50gp component spells, or 3rd level Dispel Magic. Therefore casting Darkness causes the opponent to either burn a higher-level slot or spend 50gp (and have Continual Flame ready). If you create a situation in which the enemy is using 3rd level slots to counter your 2nd level slots, you have a major advantage.

--fje

Cedric

First Post
I agree...darkness is annoying.

For that reason, I don't overuse it. Once in 7 or 8 game sessions darkness might come into play. If my players want to cast it, they know what's coming. Usually they won't cast it unless they have a reason to believe they'll have an advantage (one person has blindsight by some means, or the like).

For those who really hate darkness, I've had custom spells created as high as 8th level that combat darkness.

Call of the Sunspawn
Conjuration [Light, Fear]
Level: Clr 8, Sun 8
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: Full Round action
Range: Long (400 ft + 40 ft/level)
Area: 240-ft. radius
Duration: 10 min/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will Partial
Spell Resistance: No

Call of the Sunspawn causes a 240-ft. radius area to erupt with natural sunlight from above, dim light extends for an additional 240-ft radius beyond that. Creatures that take penalties or suffer negative affects of sunlight also take them within the 240-ft. radius of this spell. This spell is natural sunlight for the purposes of creatures that are damaged or destroyed by bright light.

Call of the Sunspawn begins with the loud roar of a lion and the following round the sky erupts with Sunlight. Upon hearing the roar undead creatures and creatures affected by sunlight or ultraviolet light within the area of affect must make a Will saving throw or be affected as if by Fear for d4+1 rounds. This includes creatures normally immune to mind-affecting spells.

Call of the Sunspawn counters or dispels any darkness spell below 9th level.

Ultimately though, I see Darkness as a great tool to add complexity to a battle field situation. And where I hear a lot of people talking about it slowing down combat...I like that level of complexity sometimes. Combat shouldn't always be, I charge over and hit the guy until he stops moving.

Cedric

The deputy BBEG used darkness to escape from the party and regroup, last session.

Or rather, he tried to :cool:

The DM was somewhat surprised when I told him what the spell actually does in 3.5, but in fairness he did not change the NPcs action. I don't think any more sorcerers will be using that tactic to escape from barbarians :)

werk

First Post
HeapThaumaturgist said:
Made it one of the most powerful 2nd-level effects known to man, though.

Exaggerate much?

It's just a miss chance. NBD.

...unless you are talking about the houseruled dark darkness. That is a 3rd level spell...blacklight, and the caster can see through it.

Last edited:

Mystery Man

First Post
Cedric said:
Ultimately though, I see Darkness as a great tool to add complexity to a battle field situation. And where I hear a lot of people talking about it slowing down combat...I like that level of complexity sometimes. Combat shouldn't always be, I charge over and hit the guy until he stops moving.

This from the guy who's character is a goliath with a 60 pound hammer. :p :D

Cedric

First Post
Mystery Man said:
This from the guy who's character is a goliath with a 60 pound hammer. :p :D

Hehe, hey...I said shouldn't "always" be charge over and hit the guy until he stops moving...why, session before last I jumped over and hit the guy until stopped moving.

See...I'm a big believer in variety.

Cedric said:
Hehe, hey...I said shouldn't "always" be charge over and hit the guy until he stops moving...why, session before last I jumped over and hit the guy until stopped moving.

See...I'm a big believer in variety.
That made me laugh so hard haha, thanks :D.

Klaus

First Post
Thanee said:
I would make one change to Darkness... it does not create shadowy illumination, but it limits light in the area to shadowy illumination instead; it doesn't make a dark room any brighter than it is, because that is just silly. :)

Bye
Thanee
QFT

Remove ads