Darkvision through a telescope

Elethiomel

First Post
ElectricDragon said:
Also, with darkvision, it can also be modified by a turn in the corridor ahead, thus limiting your 60 ft. darkvision to only 10 feet. Thus a monster 15 feet away is not visible to you despite your 60 ft. unwavering range. Thus with spells, PrCs, magic items, and specific conditions Darkvision range is variable, too without using the telescope.
That's not what's being discussed. This will hold true for any sort of vision (except things like blindsight through tremorsense), and is what I already pointed out - circumstance modifiers to vision range doesn't affect maximum Darkvision range. You can spot something in the dark at the shorter of the two ranges, but maximum Darkvision range remains the same, even if you can't see that far due to other circumstances.

ElectricDragon

Explorer
Really?

Then
Beginning of the End said:
So if you're in the Underdark and your only light source is a torch that illuminates out to 40 feet, you'd allow someone to use a telescope to see out to 80 feet?

This also is not being discussed.

But the maximum distance for normal vision is being discussed. And I found it in the SRD.

Ciao
Dave

Matthias_Gloom

First Post
Going back to the OP, I'm curious which boat had the lantern? If the lantern was on the same boat as the character, would his darkvision be active at all? If the lantern was on the boat he was looking at with his spyglass, why would he need darkvision to see it?

Elethiomel

First Post
ElectricDragon said:
But the maximum distance for normal vision is being discussed.

Yes, it is. Which means that things like an obstruction 10' away are pretty irrelevant to the discussion. That obstruction will be there no matter if it's dark, sunlight, or if the character uses a spyglass. The situation has no bearing on maximum ranges of vision (other than blindsight through tremorsense), it only has bearing on whether you can see through solid, opaque matter.

Slaved

First Post
Elethiomel said:
This will hold true for any sort of vision (except things like blindsight through tremorsense), and is what I already pointed out - circumstance modifiers to vision range doesn't affect maximum Darkvision range. You can spot something in the dark at the shorter of the two ranges, but maximum Darkvision range remains the same, even if you can't see that far due to other circumstances.

Exactly.

ElectricDragon

Explorer
Ignore the quote from the SRD if you want. It still applies as an example of what the maximum distance is for Spot checks to notice the nearby presence of others, by terrain type. Listed in the SRD.

Ciao
Dave

Jhulae

First Post
I tend to think the crux of the issue at this point is that Mistwell refuses to acknowledge (via specious arguements involving the Spot skill) that even if 'normal vision' does have a variable limit on its range, Darkvision has an absolute limit via creature type that posesses it.

Even the example given about a human and a Drow spotting things at 100' spurriously avoids the issue.

Even this example is meh, but: Can a human spot something with a spot check of 20 at 100' in broad daylight? Yes. Can a dwarf spot something with a 1000 spot check at 100' in complete darkness? No.

I actually made that point waaaaaaaay back in post 54, but, of course, it was ignored by arguements and counterpoints that have nothing to do with Darkvision having an absolute limit.

The point is, even if Mistwell's interpretation is correct about spot and 'normal vision' (which I don't believe it is, but again, not the point here), Mistwell has not given any real reply on Darkvision (which should really be the whole point of the thread), instead obscuring the issue with an unrelated Spot skill discussion.

Last edited:

Interesting thread..

Back at the start of this I read the 'darvision works like normal vision' as a reason for the spyglass working with darkvision.

Since then, I have been swayed to the side of 'darkvisin has an absolute limit', so while a spyglass *can* be used with darkvision, but that use does not extend that absolute limit.

I think this thread points to a mechanic that should be redone to better take into account the interaction of light and distance on the types of vision.

I use an alternate spot rule thought up by Kerrick that changes the RAW spot concepts for normal vision and can easily give a mechanic to the spyglass {it would treat the target as 2 sizes larger, which provides a couple mechanical benefits}

But these rules don't address darkvision :(

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Jhulae said:
I tend to think the crux of the issue at this point is that Mistwell refuses to acknowledge (via specious arguements involving the Spot skill) that even if 'normal vision' does have a variable limit on its range, Darkvision has an absolute limit via creature type that posesses it.

It's not that I don't acknowledge it, it's that it's not relevant to my position. Who cares if one is variable and one is absolute? Why does it have any impact on the debate? x2 magnification shouldn't be dependent on whether or not you reached the maximum through a variable or fixed calculation. It modifies the result, and not how you got to that result. So if the modification you choose for your game is to double the range (regardless of whether that range was arrived at through a variable or fixed equation) then it should double the range for other versions of sight as well.

The point is, even if Mistwell's interpretation is correct about spot and 'normal vision' (which I don't believe it is, but again, not the point here), Mistwell has not given any real reply on Darkvision (which should really be the whole point of the thread), instead obscuring the issue with an unrelated Spot skill discussion.

It's not obscuring the issue, you simply disagree with my position and are pretending I have not responded to it.

Here, I will break it down for you in easy bites:

1) Darkvision and Normal Vision are treated the same as far as vision, except for color;

2) Both darkvision and normal vision have a maximum range. The method of computing that maximum range differs such that darkvision more often has a fixed maximum range while normal vision more often has a variable maximum range.

2a) Sometimes, darkvision has a variable maximum range if the spot check required results in a shorter distance than the fixed range of that darkvision. For example, a Drow in the dark has a fixed range of 120' for darkvision, but if they roll a modified 10 on their spot check they can still only spot something 100' a way for an encounter.

2b) Sometimes normal vision has a fixed range for the terrain type. For example, a human in sunlight with a +20 spot modifier usually has a variable range from 200 to 400 feet normal vision, but if they are in dense forest they still have a fixed maximum range (20 to 190 feet, depending on the 2d6×10 die roll the DM made before you made your spot check).

Regardless, for any given situation both have a maximum range.

3) If in your game you interpret the x2 magnification effect of a spy glass to extend the maximum range you can see things by x2 (instead of increasing the size category of the thing seen by one category for spot checks, which is the other competing proposed method), then because darkvision and normal vision are treated the same except for color, you should also double the maximum range of darkvision when using a spy glass.

That's the contention. You might not agree with it, but I definitely am offering the reason why darkvision would be extended by a spy glass, and why it's related to normal vision maximum ranges through the "treated the same" rule for normal and darkvision.

I sure wish people would get off the "if you don't agree with me you must be wrong or avoiding the question" as opposed to "if you don't agree with me perhaps this is just a case of two reasonable minds differing on the interpretation of the rules". It's really not productive to continue to bash people for disagreeing with your interpretation.

And as I predicted much earlier in this thread, the longer it goes on the more redundancy in the thread, and the more aggression there seems to be in the responses. That's a real drag, and makes most people (including me) want to avoid this thread.

To try and get things back on track I would ask those of you who have not expressed an opinion on the effects of a spy glass to detail what effect a spy glass would have in your game for normal vision. If it's not "increases the size category by 1 for spot checks", nor "increases the maximum range for that check by x2", then what does it do in your game?

Last edited:

Mistwell,
I think the what Jhulae is saying is that darkvision has an absolute maximum limit that can not be modified. Sure, the spot rules may preclude spotting someone at a shorter distance, but the absolute maximum, as listed in the race/feat/item is not exceeded. Therefore no doubling the range through the use of a normal spyglass.

You apparently see the darkvision absolute maximum range as something that can be modified, and you point to the normal vision rules under the Spot skill as evidence.

However, normal vision does not have an absolute maximum limit listed in the race/feat/item that provides it. Darkvision does.

Yes, I agree this is silly game design. All visions should work on the same concept and use visual ranges {or some similar mechanic} instead of dropping a wall at 60 feet...

and yes, longer threads tend to lead to the same disagreement.. specfically when the disagreement rises from a definition difference that neither party thinks to clarify. :)

Remove ads