Dazzed until grabbed?

Bayuer

First Post
Ok, another question. Man I've got problematic players:)

I'm grabbed by Gelatinous Cube. I'm dazed until I escape. It's my turn. I escaped. Can I make other actions normaly allowed in my turn? Or just my turn end. Ewentualy I take Action Point (I'm still dazed at this action?).

Gruns

Explorer
Dazed and confused.

Ok, another question. Man I've got problematic players:)

I'm grabbed by Gelatinous Cube. I'm dazed until I escape. It's my turn. I escaped. Can I make other actions normaly allowed in my turn? Or just my turn end. Eventualy I take Action Point (I'm still dazed at this action?).

If I recall, this is one of those situations that isn't directly specified in the rules. The general consensus seems to be that if at anytime during your turn you are Dazed, you get 1 action. If you somehow get Dazed in the middle of your turn (or become un-Dazed in the middle of your turn), and have already taken 1 or more actions, you have no more actions. This more or less follows the way Slow works, which actually mentions what happens if you become Slowed mid-turn in the rules.
I'm not sure what you mean by your second question regarding being Dazed when you take an Action Point. Using the Action Point simply gets you another Standard action to use. If you're asking in regards to "do you still grant Combat Advantage" due to the Dazed condition, then no, since you are no longer Dazed, due to the escape.
Later!
Gruns

Bayuer

First Post
Ok. There are many diffrenst situations. What if I start turn beign grabbed by Geletionous Cube and dazed. I use Action Point and succesfull esaceped. What actions do I have now?

abyssaldeath

First Post
I would say you get your normal actions. That's one of the benefits of spending an action point. Most people usually think about using action points after your you use up your normal actions, but a lot of times it is more beneficial to use it before.

Gruns

Explorer
2 then!

Ok. There are many diffrenst situations. What if I start turn beign grabbed by Geletionous Cube and dazed. I use Action Point and succesfull esaceped. What actions do I have now?

Well, if you're going with the ruling that if you're Dazed when you start your turn, you only get 1 Action, then you still only get a total of 2 actions, regardless of whether the Action Point action was used to escape or not.

DM: "Ok Gruns it's your turn. You're currently grabbed by the cube, and thus Dazed. You have 1 action this turn."

Gruns: "I use an Action Point to get an extra Move Action. I use this action to try to escape. (dice rolling) I escape! With my other action, I stab the cube in the face."

I can see where some DM's might want to let you have your full set of actions after the Action Point escape, but I am not one of those DMs. This is like a kick in the groin to the gelatinous cube, as a big part of its gameplan is to grab people and limit their actions!

Yes I'm aware that gelatinous cubes have neither faces nor groins. At least not their own.

Later!
Gruns

Gruns

Explorer
I would say you get your normal actions. That's one of the benefits of spending an action point.

It is? My PHB only mentions that you Gain an Extra Action. Nothing in there about gaining 3 extra actions, or being able to use it on your turn but really slightly before the actual start of your turn to avoid bad monster effects. If you want to rule this way, you're of course more than welcome to. But honestly, there's nothing magical or special about action points. It's simply an extra single action. And sometimes paragon paths and warlords and certain humans like to make them a little spicier...

Later!
Gruns

Festivus

First Post
Action Points can be used at any time, and you don't lose your remainging other actions just because you spend an AP. (I can't recall where I read this currently but it's been stated somewhere... perhaps here on the ENWorld forums by one of the designers)

I would reward the clever player for the expenditure of the Action Point to describe escape (AP), shift, attack. What would happen if they didn't escape? The player ends up with a lost action point and they are still dazed... but could try once again to escape with the remaining action.

Action Points are expensive and rarer than encounter powers... there should be an upside to using one.

Gruns

Explorer
Yes and...

Action Points can be used at any time, and you don't lose your remainging other actions just because you spend an AP. (I can't recall where I read this currently but it's been stated somewhere... perhaps here on the ENWorld forums by one of the designers)

First, Action Points can't be used at any time. They are a Free Action, but they can only be used during your turn. This is a big difference from other Free Actions. Without this restriction you could theoretically attack on other people's turns, or maybe try to escape from a Gelatinous Cube before your turn comes around... And second, nobody is saying you lose the remainder of your actions just because you spend an Action Point.

I would reward the clever player for the expenditure of the Action Point to describe escape (AP), shift, attack. What would happen if they didn't escape? The player ends up with a lost action point and they are still dazed... but could try once again to escape with the remaining action.

Your example is peculiar... That player could simply use their single action(while Dazed) to escape. They get to Shift as part of the escape. Then they could spend an Action Point to attack.

Action Points are expensive and rarer than encounter powers... there should be an upside to using one.

The upside being an extra action. Along with some other potential goodness, depending on your job, race, or who you know. What they shouldn't do is let you skirt rules issues or go above and beyond what you normally can do. (Other than take an extra action, of course.)

Later!
Gruns

James McMurray

First Post
There is nothing in the rules to support the idea that you are allotted your actions at the start of the turn. So, following the advice of the DMG and the designers, I have always said that if you become undazed on your turn you will get your full remaining actions.

The link between Slow and Daze is nonexistent. Slow says what happens if you become slowed in the middle of a move. That has nothing to do with what occurs when you lose an effect. It works to back up the claim that you lose extra actions if you're dazed in the middle of your turn, but nothing else.

DracoSuave

First Post
The thing is, once you're no longer dazed, the restriction on what you may do during your turn no longer applies. Like any other restrictive condition, once it is removed, you no longer suffer its effects. If you remove immobilized, you can move; if you remove dazed you can take the actions it previously limited.

You don't 'get action points' at the beginning of your turn to spend, you just have limitations on what you can do. Remove one limitation, and it no longer applies.

Remove ads