• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[DCC RPG] I have the pdf of the finished rules and I’m glad I do

Only problem I am seeing is with D&D style games I much prefer simple over complex, and this looks like it may be too "fiddly" for me. So once I get the print book in May I will start looking into what I can trim off and see how simple I can get it. For some reason I can't do that off of PDF's. Seems that I always miss things.

I'm curious what looks too complex or "fiddly" for your use? I'm just curious. I ran it after playing both 4E and PF and DCC RPG was a breeze to run for me personally.

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
Just finished skimming my full version of the PDF, and... wow.

This game is so tightly packed with awesomeness, I can't believe they even got it into 400 pages. Seriously.

Even if you don't use this system wholesale, there are so many nuggets of amazing stuff that you can draw from for any game you're running: from the crit tables, to spell manifestations, to adding the Mighty Deeds, to the chapter on Quests & Journeys, even to the inspiring name lists and Appendices in the back of the book.

Seriously. I can't speak highly enough to the amount of work put into this game. It's come a long way since we played our beta game way back in 2011. Pick this game up.

pming

Legend
Hiya.

Yeah, at work here yesterday one of my friends and players (I work with him) started to poo-poo it when I started to describe it. Y'know...3d6, in order, 1d4hp (keep what you roll), random occupation, etc. That is, until I got to telling him of a beta-GM's experience where his four players went in with 16 characters and only 4 came out. Then his eyes widened and he let out a "Oooooh nooozzze! What carnage!". ;) He thought you played one character at a time...hehe...

So, he made a pair of characters. He enjoyed it so much we made another *10*. How long did it take to may a dozen 0-level characters (sans 'equipment'...with 28cp average, you can't buy much...)...25 minutes. Yup. Just over two minutes *per character*. :) Needless to say, he's quite excited to give it a go when we get the chance.

(It was also nice to hear him extole the coolness of our current 1e AD&D campaign and how similar it is to what DCCRPG is trying to go for... yay me! :) ).

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Treebore

First Post
I'm curious what looks too complex or "fiddly" for your use? I'm just curious. I ran it after playing both 4E and PF and DCC RPG was a breeze to run for me personally.

All the various dice and tables, for one. Like I said, when I have a print copy in hand I will give a real evaluation. Maybe in print it will all make much better sense to me. My brain really does not respond well to learning new things from PDF.

Plus I gave up on 3E years ago, and 4E months after it came out. I've been playing Castles and Crusades, 1E AD&D, and Swords and Wizardry since. Much, much simpler than 3E or 4E.

The hard copies for the pre-orders are making it around the world. Made it to NZ in great nick this Sat AM. I think the street date for normal pre-orders and available from stores etc is the 22nd May

Large image in spoiler block:
[sblock]
201205190846491.jpg

[/sblock]

Bigger than Pathfinder but not quite Ptolus/ToHC. The gold foil is the special pre-order only limited edition (which also has a secret message in it!). The art is AMAZING

EDIT: Having started reading I am soooo impressed by the quality of the paper. It is THICK and quality. An amazing piece of the bookbinders art. Apparently:

goodmangames said:
DCC RPG will be printed on 70# uncoated offset. That is a durable, heavyweight paper stock near the upper end of what most printers keep in stock. It is not the "slick" type paper that you see used in color products; it is a more textured paper. When you read RPG products that feel like they are on flimsy paper, that is typically 50# stock (which I don't use). The real test is whether you can see the blacks through the page - i.e. is a dark illustration visible on the other side of the page. With 50# paper, it is; with 70#, it is not.

As long as we are on the subject - I am also using Smythe-sewn binding. That means nothing to most people but it is the difference between a heavily-referenced RPG falling apart at the binding or not. Smythe-sewn features an adhesive binding AND sewn threads to hold the binding together. All those RPG's you bought that fell apart after a couple months of use...well, they used adhesive only. Smythe-sewn is more expensive but it is worth it.

Mod Edit: No troubles here, other than a *really* big image. Stuck it in a spoiler block to help make the thread more legible. ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

JeffB

Legend
I *was* planning to purchase this since the day it was announced, but apparently Joe has decided not to sell through Amazon for some reason even though GG has always sold through them in the past. I posted a thread over on the GG forums, but no explanation as of yet.

Remove ads