DCC RPG

Herobizkit

Adventurer
This sounds really fun, but what exactly is this RPG? From what I can tell, each player plays 4 commoners and, collectively, they try to be heroes in a regular dungeon?

Chingerspy

First Post
You are no doubt correct but with limited gaming time at evening sessions its just more efficient with pre generated characters. I'll be giving them the choice of rolling their own on the night and already gave them the option in advance. Don't worry it's not something I've dictated to the group :)

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
This sounds really fun, but what exactly is this RPG? From what I can tell, each player plays 4 commoners and, collectively, they try to be heroes in a regular dungeon?

Sort of, but scratch the "heroes" bit. :cool:

Your four characters are completely random, roll 3d6 six times in sequence noobs without a class. Anyone who survives his first dungeon - more often than not by way of being timid instead of heroic - reaches level 1 of a class.

DCCRPG prides itself of a very high lethality rate. So even if more than one of your characters survives the first dungeon, you may continue to play all of them. The DM will find ways to strip you of excess characters.

Crothian

First Post

You can start at first level and have tougher characters but the game designed for zero levels and then playing those that live to first level. At first level and higher characters are harder to kill permanently. They have rules for recovering the body of a dead character and then rolling against the characters luck to see if they really are alive. If that happens they do suffer a permanent stat lose. The dwarf in our group is already down a point of strength and stamina.

Magic is unreliable. It can give the caster negatives if the fail the roll or if they roll exceptionally well they can cast a low level spell in a powerful way.

Baz King

Explorer
I love this game. Been playing it over Hangouts recently and getting great responses.

The clever bit about the level 0 pcs is that the funnel system replaces the building game in other d20 games. Instead of picking and choosing, you go with chance and its survival of the fittest. Also, your level 1 PC then has a backstory and a personality ready to go. To get both of those achieved through play is a subtle master stroke.

Remove ads