DCC RPG

Crothian

First Post
Tonight my group is starting a new campaign using the Dungeon Crawl Classic RPG. I created 32 characters for the Character Funnel and with luck we'll kill off most of them. I'm starting with using the XRP module Obsidian Sands of Syncrates. The modules is for higher levels and a different game but it is really simple to translate games into DCC. Anyone else playing? I think it is going to be great.

shaylon

First Post
I will be playing tonight. My gaming group has decided to try this out after a long Pathfinder run. I made my own characters and I don't expect any of them to die.

Sir Robilar

First Post
We started a new campaign with DCC last summer and haven't looked back. Great game in that it is all about trust and fun, and never about rules or their abuse. Without ever becoming unfair, it implies a "earn your living" atmosphere from the beginning on (by ways of the character funnel) which makes for a high suspense gaming throughout. Characters never feel safe. The random factor and the game's weird charm constantly amazes our group. For us it was the perfect cure after roleplaying had become somewhat stale during the last years.

We're playing a sandbox campaign, I'm basically stringing together the official Goodman Games DCC modules and others that I find and like. (By the way, I highly recommend the fabulous 'Through the Cotillion of Hours' by Purple Duck Games which takes place in the world of dreams).

I would usually recommend that the players create their own characters because rolling on the tables and finding out the weird results is a major fun factor. If time is an issue I would recommend the level 0 party generator here:
http://purplesorcerer.com/create.htm
[MENTION=22867]shaylon[/MENTION] - Are these level 0 characters you created? If so, you should expect some of them to die (usually those you like the most after character creation, in the end leaving you with the one with the horrible stats). If none died, it would be an unusual DCC funnel.

Crothian

First Post
We had a lot of fun. 9 of 16 characters died last night. The survivors gained to first level and now the true adventures will begin!

shaylon

First Post
[MENTION=75757]Sir Robilar[/MENTION], it was a bit of an inside joke. I ran with 3-0 levels last night and two of them advanced. It happened that I rolled extremely well all night.

Shag

Explorer
I only have 2 players, they each ran a whole sheet of 4 purple sorceror generated 0 levels. Many games later only 2 of those guys are alive and just made level 2. The game is so beautifully deadly, and its always the character you don't expect to live that survives. The character with the most XP, is the Wizard, Int 13 CON 18. Constitution is the most important stat for any class. I would love to see a few more spells out there, its the one thing that is a bit more difficult to convert, you have to make a whole chart of results. Pretty much everything else can be imported from the various 1st ed clones (Basic Fantasy etc)

scourger

Explorer
My group has been playing it for several months, but I just rejoined recently. DCC RPG is a good game with many great innovations, but it is still just as susceptible as almost any edition of D&D to the problem of packing 20 minutes of fun into 4 hours. Sometimes I think we're doing it wrong.

Crothian

First Post
My group has been playing it for several months, but I just rejoined recently. DCC RPG is a good game with many great innovations, but it is still just as susceptible as almost any edition of D&D to the problem of packing 20 minutes of fun into 4 hours. Sometimes I think we're doing it wrong.

Well, what do you define as your 20 minutes of fun? What is the other 3 hours and 40 minutes?

Remove ads